5.4L 2V Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 2V Timing Chain Replacement

Hey everyone, I found my way here through a Google search on how to replace my timing chain. I've read a few different ways to do it but I'm still a little confused. I've got an 02 Harley truck and I've got everything removed and am at the point where I need to remove the chains. I've read one how to article on here that says you can rotate the crank keyway to 12 o'clock and complete the job without cam lock tools. Has anyone had any success doing it this way? If yes I have a few questions regarding the process.

1. With the crank keyway at 12, where are the cam marks supposed to be?

2. Do the existing timing marks have to line up with anything or should they be ignored?

3. Since you don't need to use any cam locks what happens to the cams when you remove the tensioners?

4. If the cams do move is it ok to move them clockwise or counter clockwise, can they only be moved a little?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Old 02-13-2016, 06:57 PM
That is the tread I've been looking at, after going over it many times I still have the questions in my original post.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM
If you take the timing cover of the engine off, everything will become clear. The only thing you need to make sure doesn't spin is the crankshaft.

If you attempt the job without a camshaft holding tool, valve spring pressure can rotate the camshaft one way or the other. You don't need to worry about this since you won't be removing the camshaft sprocket to replace the chains. Also, if you do get rotation on the camshaft, you can turn them back by hand.

The timing marks on the sprockets and gears are pretty foolproof. Please don't ignore them.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
If you take the timing cover of the engine off, everything will become clear. The only thing you need to make sure doesn't spin is the crankshaft.

If you attempt the job without a camshaft holding tool, valve spring pressure can rotate the camshaft one way or the other. You don't need to worry about this since you won't be removing the camshaft sprocket to replace the chains. Also, if you do get rotation on the camshaft, you can turn them back by hand.

The timing marks on the sprockets and gears are pretty foolproof. Please don't ignore them.
Do the timing marks from the old chain have to line up with the timing marks?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by turbolxstang
Do the timing marks from the old chain have to line up with the timing marks?
Not sure what you mean. Do you have an engine that jumped timing?

When I did my head gaskets, just for fun, I spun the engine with the timing system intact just to watch the operation of the chains, sprockets, and cams. At some point during rotation, every timing mark on a sprocket lined up with the dark links on the timing chain.

Yes. The dark links on your old chain should line up with the timing marks on your sprockets.

If you can't rely on your engine's original timing for whatever reason, then you will need to go a little beyond Dynotech's procedure, and set the timing yourself.

Regardless, the timing marks MATTER.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
Not sure what you mean. Do you have an engine that jumped timing?

When I did my head gaskets, just for fun, I spun the engine with the timing system intact just to watch the operation of the chains, sprockets, and cams. At some point during rotation, every timing mark on a sprocket lined up with the dark links on the timing chain.

Yes. The dark links on your old chain should line up with the timing marks on your sprockets.

If you can't rely on your engine's original timing for whatever reason, then you will need to go a little beyond Dynotech's procedure, and set the timing yourself.

Regardless, the timing marks MATTER.

I put new heads on my engine and noted where the timing marks were at tdc, but I'm ready to time it and there are no different colored links on these chains. The right side mark was square with the cam but the left side was about 11:00.
Is there a particular spot for them to be? And does the crank need to be at 12:00 or tdc?

Quick Reply: 5.4L 2V Timing Chain Replacement