5.4 L Buring Oil and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 L Buring Oil and CEL

Not sure where to start with this one. There seems to be multiple issues.
Problem 1. Motor hesitates and loses power when accelerating.
Problem 2. Motor is burning oil. No oil spots on ground. Added 1 quart of oil on Thursday. Used the truck to haul round bales of hay on Saturday. Sunday, needed another quart of oil.
Problem 3. CEL. Code said misfiring.

Motor timing is controlled by oil pressure and the phaser, correct? If oil pressure drops, could that cause timing to be off and mis-fire?
I've been running Valvoline conventional oil. I believe it is time to start running high mileage oil. Motor has over 100K miles.

I've been told the phaser on these 5.4 Tritons is a royal pain in the rear. Had one mechanic recommend motor replacement over replacing the phasers.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ted

Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
What are the exact numerical codes, please? What year is the truck?

If it is actually burning oil, I'd rebuild or replace the engine - or get rid of the truck. It won't take long for it to clog the cats if you keep driving it.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:03 PM
[
My wife was driving get it when the cel started blinking. They Googled it and it said something about the cats catching on fire.

QUOTE=strat1960s;5182279]Not sure where to start with this one. There seems to be multiple issues.
Problem 1. Motor hesitates and loses power when accelerating.
Problem 2. Motor is burning oil. No oil spots on ground. Added 1 quart of oil on Thursday. Used the truck to haul round bales of hay on Saturday. Sunday, needed another quart of oil.
Problem 3. CEL. Code said misfiring.

Motor timing is controlled by oil pressure and the phaser, correct? If oil pressure drops, could that cause timing to be off and mis-fire?
I've been running Valvoline conventional oil. I believe it is time to start running high mileage oil. Motor has over 100K miles.

I've been told the phaser on these 5.4 Tritons is a royal pain in the rear. Had one mechanic recommend motor replacement over replacing the phasers.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ted[/QUOTE]

Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Code numbers! we cant help you with out them.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Code numbers! we cant help you with out them.
I'll get the numbers in the morning. The truck is an 05.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 PM
Like I said I'll get the code(s) in the morning.
The truck is a 2005 F150 XLT 4x4. Everything on the truck is working great accept for the motor.

Without, tearing into the motor, my first thoughts on the oil consumption are rings or valve related.
I read a few post about hesitation and vibrations being fuel related. Its been a while since we had the injection system cleaned or the fuel filter replaced.

Based on the three known symptoms; oil consumption, hesitation, and CEL flashing, I believe there are at least two problems with the motor. At least one of them caused the CEL to flash.

I won't know much until I pull the code(s) in the morning.

As far as replacing the motor; have any of you replaced your 5.4 Triton? If you don't mind me asking, what'd you pay for parts and labor? If I do replace the motor, I'm leaning towards the Jasper motor.

Back in my younger days as an Air Force Mechanic, I'd swap out 6.2 diesels in 2 to 3 days. I don't have access to the lifts or tools that I had then. The Air Force shut down the nearest auto hobby shop and the next closest one is over 45 minutes away. That's still a possibility, but it'll take me more than 2 to 3 days to do everything. I've even pulled the 200 I6 out of my 65 Mustang in my garage, but I was 12 years younger back then, and that motor was a lot smaller and easier to work on.

I know I can determine if the oil consumption is ring or valve related by performing a wet/dry compression test on each cylinder. If I get a chance, I may do that tomorrow.

It's a bit of a long shot, but I could check my coolant to see if its milky. That'd tell me if it's a head gasket or cracked head.

I know I'm spouting off a lot of ideas and what ifs.
I'll post what I find out tomorrow.

Ted

Last edited by strat1960s; 02-07-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think if you had a shop do all the labor and everything you'll be looking at around $6500-$8500 for a jasper engine.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Ouch!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you have never pulled the plugs on that engine, you need to read up on it - they are 2 piece plugs and they like to stick and break. You can't just throw a socket on them and expect to get them out easily. There is a long ground sleeve barrel between the threads and the tip, it carbons up and sticks in the bore. Have a Lisle 65600 extractor available. If it's got 100k on the original plugs, I'd bet that's at least one source of your misfires. Also, the 05's had bad fuel injectors, they leak and cause hydrolocks.

You can get a hydrocarbon test kit for the coolant, that will tell you if you have a blown head gasket between combustion and cooling. I think O'Reilly's has them.

Bottom line - oil burning - valves or rings, either way you are looking at a rebuild.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM
GLC,

Plugs were replaced Fall of 15.
I'm due to replace the fuel filter this or next month. I'm sure the fuel system is also due about the same time as the filter. I know it's been done, but I don't have the record to say exactly when, so my assumption is it's over-due.

Taking care of the fuel system may be irrelevant at this point. I say this, because regardless of how the fuel system is performing, I am still burning oil. Correct??

As for the injectors, another thing I've been reading up on, If I replace the motor, I'd replace the injectors at the same time. I'm beginning to make of list of things that would need to be replaced with the motor. Injectors, oil pump......... and so on.

Ted

Last edited by strat1960s; 02-08-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Make sure the engine is being vented. Perhaps the 05 didn't have a pcv but if not there is an orifice that may be plugged. Just wild guessing here?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Took the truck to local Orileys to see if there were any codes. Because the CEL was flashing, it did not log any codes that Orielys could read. Took it to a local shop with a scan computer. They're going to hook it up to the computer and drive the truck to see what its doing. Times like this I wish I had one of those $1000 scan tools.
Waiting to hear back from the shop.

Thank you to everyone who has responded or even given this some thought.
Ted

Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Here's where I'm at with the F150.
Oil consumption is due to a leak at the rear of the pan. Most likely pan seal. I don't know how I could have missed that. Yes, I knew there was moisture around the rear of the pan, but there is absolutely nothing on the ground in the driveway.

Still working out the misfire issue. Took it to my local shop and they were going to drive it to with their computer connected. Their computer literally died as they pulled out of the parking lot. It's going to be next week to get another computer and program it.

At first the tech thought it may be a bad coil on #4. He swapped it to #2. I drove the truck for 2 days and nothing. The tech drove the truck today and nothing. My truck doesn't like women drivers because it only acts up when my wife or daughter drive the truck.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a fuel, oil, or timing issue. Unfortunately, my definition of broke is its broke all the time, not every once in a while. Seems like no one can get it to misfire consistently.

here is my theory:
If i'm low on oil, I should also be low on oil pressure. Oil pressure controls the timing, right?? That's my theory.

I'll update as we determine what its not, until we get what it is.

Ted

Last edited by strat1960s; 02-10-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If it isn't leaking enough to drip on the driveway, that isn't the cause of the excessive oil consumption.

Quick Reply: 5.4 L Buring Oil and CEL