Heater core return pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core return pipe

This is on a 1999 ford 150 Does anyone have a tip on how to get that pipe from the heater return line down and seated in the intake easily ? How do you all get it in there? Is there something else I can do instead of using that pipe. I am speaking of the pipe in the back on the passenger side metal where the quick connect connects too.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 AM
I guess I either stumped the pros or people are scared to suggest something because someone may shoot them down as a bad idea. I went to a local dealer they told me if the pipe goes bad you have to replace the whole intake so I asked them if that's so why do you just sell the pipe. Very strange .

Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would consider tapping the hole so a brass threaded nipple will screw in and use that nipple to attach the heater hose to.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've only removed and installed it during major projects that included intake removal. Cant imagine an easy way of doing that with the intake on..

Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 PM

I have never replaced one myself but my concern would be that if not performed right it will blow out and over heat the engine. That's why I suggest using a threaded fitting of some type into the intake manifold to prevent a blowout failure.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Oh I already have the intake off but using a wrench I was tapping the new pipe 40 bucks from ford and the metal seat ring on the pipe from the tapping cracked the pipe so im ordering pipes offline now a couple but I don't want to keep cracking them trying to get them in. The whole is so tight I don't think once its in there it will blow out. I caught h e 1 1 getting the bottom broken piece out the intake. I also wonder just as was said if theres a fix where you can put a nipple in there to eliminate that stupid pipe.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 PM

Put the end of the tube in dry ice (nitrogen)and let it get as cold as possible then try tapping it into the hole. Regular ice is not cold enough... I have seen bearings installed into machinery using this method the ice shrinks the metal tube and gives more clearance so much so that it may slide right in. I just used this method on my pontoon outboard motor replacing the water pump housing, worked great. Or tap the hole as I suggested above and use a brass fitting.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-04-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Heater core return pipe