Intermittent Crank No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Crank No Start Problem

2001 Ford F-150 4.6L V8

So for the past 2 months I have been having an intermittent crank no start problem with my truck. The truck will run fine for a week or so then when I go to turn it on in the morning and it will crank but not start. I leave it alone for a couple of hours, comeback and it starts right up. It does this once or twice every 2-3 weeks. Once it turns on it runs good and won't do it again for a while.

Was told it was fuel pump problem so I replaced the fuel pump. Truck worked good for a week before it started happening again. The mechanic said it is the fuel pump again. Haven't been able to test the fuel pressure when I am having the no start problem since I don't have a gauge.

The only code I have is a P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold (Bank 2)....

Does anyone have any idea what it is/could be...

Old 01-04-2016, 01:49 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You don't necessarily have to have a gauge - you can tap the Schrader valve on the rail and see if fuel sprays out.

When you turn the key to ON, do you hear the pump run for a couple seconds?

You need to get that cat issue fixed, it may be clogging up and the backpressure will do some nasty things to your engine.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeh when the truck is not starting I can still hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key.....the truck is running fine right now so the fuel system is working right now so I will have to wait till it starts messing up again to check I guess

Old 01-04-2016, 03:20 PM
glc
When it doesn't start, try holding the pedal down slightly - if that doesn't work try flooring it. Holding it down a bit will bypass a stuck IAC, flooring it will shut the fuel off if it's flooded.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:12 PM
So I filled the truck up yesterday and this morning it wouldn't start. I tried as you said holding the pedal down slowly, which didn't work, then floored it and it turned on. I also forgot to mention that it usually messes up when I fill the truck up. Once it gets down to 3/4 tank it is problem free till I fill it up again.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM
glc
That sounds like leaky injectors. Need to get that fixed before it hydrolocks. The leaky injectors can also trash the cats.

Another possibility is a problem in the evap system, dumping fuel into the intake. Next time you fill it, don't top it off after the nozzle shuts off, or only fill it to 3/4.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Crank No Start Problem