4.6 timing headache.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4.6 timing headache.

2001 4.6 I had the heads redone and now that I'm putting it back together I'm running into problems with the timing. The passenger side head went on fine but the drive side head timing isn't lining up at TDC the number 6 piston is at the top and on the head the intake valve when turned to line up the marks is open. I'm not sure how to fix this problem and I need help.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
If the crank is in safe mode, rotate the cam until the marks are lined up

Old 12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
If I do that when I go To line up my timing marks I'm still going to have the same problem when at tdc the number 6 piston is at the top also and the heads intake valve for the number 6 piston is open.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:27 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You sure you have the heads on the correct side of the engine, and the correct cams are in the correct heads?

Old 12-11-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I do I even had the guy who do the work to them come to my house to see if he could figure it out and he couldn't understand why it was like that.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crankshaft keyway at 12:00. Now leave the crankshaft in this position until you are finished timing and the chain tensioners have been released, which will keep the chains tight . DO NOT MOVE the crank from the 12:00 position until completely finished!!!. Align the chain and crank timing gear timing marks on the left (driverside) first. hen move the chain up to the cyll head timing gear and hand rotate the cam gear only until the gear timing dot and the chain colored link align and place chain on gear. Now do the same thing to the rightside ( passenger side) align chain and crank timing gear them pull chain up to the cyl head timing gear and rotate the cam only by hand while aligning gear timing dot and off color chain link, attach chain tensioners to both cyl heads..now visual verify that both crank timing gear dots are aligned with both timing chain colored links.if not then realign. Now attach both chain tensioners. Again visually check all 4 timing marks for alignment of all four timing chain off color links. once you are positive all 4 gear mark and chain marks are perfectly aligned then release the grenade pins that hold the chain tensioners compressed. this allows the tensioners to apply pressure to the chains and will prevent them from slipping off the the timing marks. You can now rotate the engine by hand using the crank shaft 18 mm bolt. Understand that once you rotate the engine even one revolution the timing marks will not all realign again for after 50+ revolutions. In other words once the engine is rotated do not expect to see all the timing marks aligned again until over 50 revolutions. Many people think that these timing marks should align exactly over each gear and chain timing mark through every revolution but they will not. This is why it is important to get all timing marks right on the first time prior to installing the chain tensioners. I wrote a procedure for timing these two valve modular engines and if you do a search using the search button or search the technical articles for 2v timing procedure you can read that article and I think it will help you understand how this works.. Once you understand it it is really quit simple. good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-11-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:20 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks glc...

Quick Reply: 4.6 timing headache.