Hole in timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hole in timing cover

Hello all, as I was sitting in my truck at lunch today, a co-worker walked up and said my truck had a puddle under it. I looked under the truck to find a puddle of oil. After popping the hood, I found the pulley that was mounted on the timing cover at the bottom of the engine compartment. I can now see the timing chain inside my engine. My questions are, Has anyone else had this happen? and is it an easy fix without having to take the engine completely apart? Any help would be appreciated. 2011 F-150 FX4 5.0L

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by amazonman
Hello all, as I was sitting in my truck at lunch today, a co-worker walked up and said my truck had a puddle under it. I looked under the truck to find a puddle of oil. After popping the hood, I found the pulley that was mounted on the timing cover at the bottom of the engine compartment. I can now see the timing chain inside my engine. My questions are, Has anyone else had this happen? and is it an easy fix without having to take the engine completely apart? Any help would be appreciated. 2011 F-150 FX4 5.0L
Welcome to the forum, amazonman! It sounds like you have a trip to the dealership in your future. How many miles are on the truck? I'll see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Not a good thing!!!

Old 11-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Need some help!

Originally Posted by amazonman
This just happened to my husbands 2011. Can I ask what you found out. Fixable?

Old 04-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Were there any suggestions on how to fix this?

My 2011 Ford F150 FX4 5.0L Truck had the same thing happen.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
This is from the timing chain.

You'll need to get the engine repaired.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing just happened to my 2011 F150 with the 5.0L engine. Hole appeared in the same place and the serpentine belt spun off. Seems to me that Ford has a problem and doesn't want to take responsibility. My dealer that I purchased the truck from new will not touch it. Perhaps a Class Action Lawsuit will persuade them?

The following 2 users liked this post by Drew.85301:
Old 01-19-2022, 10:30 PM
Angry Consistent theme here: hole in timing chain cover

Reading through these posts, there seems to be a consistent theme I'm finding. 2011 F150's with the 5.0L engine suddenly having a serpentine belt spin off, causing the owner to investigate. Upon investigation, it shows that a HOLE has appeared in the cast metal timing chain cover. There is no "missing pulley" or other component that "broke off under strain" - technical drawings will confirm that. I talked with a very reputable mechanic who did some digging around and he told me that he had spoken with someone at FMC who told him that Ford had re-engineered that model year timing chain cover after these incidents began to appear. Hmmm ... there was never a recall for this, or I would have received a notice and most definitely would have taken my truck in for the recall repair. Could FMC be trying to dodge responsibility, due to this being a pretty extensive repair job? I know a good lawyer who may be interested in a class action suit against FMC for this issue. If you have experienced this problem, had no satisfaction from FMC, and would like to participate, please reply to me here.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-30-2022, 12:21 PM
Timing chain cover

Originally Posted by Drew.85301
Reading through these posts, there seems to be a consistent theme I'm finding. 2011 F150's with the 5.0L engine suddenly having a serpentine belt spin off, causing the owner to investigate. Upon investigation, it shows that a HOLE has appeared in the cast metal timing chain cover. There is no "missing pulley" or other component that "broke off under strain" - technical drawings will confirm that. I talked with a very reputable mechanic who did some digging around and he told me that he had spoken with someone at FMC who told him that Ford had re-engineered that model year timing chain cover after these incidents began to appear. Hmmm ... there was never a recall for this, or I would have received a notice and most definitely would have taken my truck in for the recall repair. Could FMC be trying to dodge responsibility, due to this being a pretty extensive repair job? I know a good lawyer who may be interested in a class action suit against FMC for this issue. If you have experienced this problem, had no satisfaction from FMC, and would like to participate, please reply to me here.
had this happen to me this morning.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by A.f.laybolt
had this happen to me this morning.
My F150 is in the hands of a reputable mechanic as I type this. He found that where that hole in my timing chain cover is, there WAS a pulley (contrary to what I had posted previously). FMC designed the timing chain cover, made from cast aluminum, with that pulley mounted at an angle that incurred a lot of stress. I learned that after the 2011 model year, FMC redesigned that timing chain cover - ignoring the instances such as what those of us here are saying happened to us. There was no recall on this - just us poor slobs, loyal to Ford, who are paying for their faulty design and the repairs to our Ford F150's. The ONLY was to repair this is to replace the timing chain cover and the pulley that it should have mounted on it. This involves extensive removal of much of the front of the engine. For me, it is better if done by a mechanic with the proper tools. Of course, this means it is going to cost a pretty penny when complete. I'll post here again when I have a bill from my mechanic, but I feel strongly that we (or at least me) should let Ford Motor Company know about this and ask what responsibility they are taking in it.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Drew.85301
My F150 is in the hands of a reputable mechanic as I type this. He found that where that hole in my timing chain cover is, there WAS a pulley (contrary to what I had posted previously). FMC designed the timing chain cover, made from cast aluminum, with that pulley mounted at an angle that incurred a lot of stress. I learned that after the 2011 model year, FMC redesigned that timing chain cover - ignoring the instances such as what those of us here are saying happened to us. There was no recall on this - just us poor slobs, loyal to Ford, who are paying for their faulty design and the repairs to our Ford F150's. The ONLY was to repair this is to replace the timing chain cover and the pulley that it should have mounted on it. This involves extensive removal of much of the front of the engine. For me, it is better if done by a mechanic with the proper tools. Of course, this means it is going to cost a pretty penny when complete. I'll post here again when I have a bill from my mechanic, but I feel strongly that we (or at least me) should let Ford Motor Company know about this and ask what responsibility they are taking in it.
what is your repair bill on that?

Old 02-06-2022, 12:19 AM
Same issue happened to me today

2011 F150 5.0, 202000 miles. Had a hole show up in the front of my block today. Battery indicator appeared, then high engine temp. Pulled off to off ramp and into parking lot. Opened hood and noticed belt was off and hole was in block. Has there been any updates to how much it cost to repair?

Old 02-06-2022, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It depends on where you live...

According to my tool that I use for book labor and parts for that M/Y, if I were to do it today it for you, it would be $920.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
It depends on where you live...

According to my tool that I use for book labor and parts for that M/Y, if I were to do it today it for you, it would be $920.
Thanks ManualF150.

I live in Houston, Tx area, and vehicle was towed to a dealership. I’ll post back when I have an estimate

Last edited by AGMTB07; 02-06-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:58 PM

The Ford dealership told me they have never seen this before. Told me it needs a new motor. 13k.

Quick Reply: Hole in timing cover