1993 f150 v8 302 cranks but wont start HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 f150 v8 302 cranks but wont start HELP!!!

I am at wits end trying to fix my truck and would like to pick your brains, if I could.

I purchased my truck 3 weeks ago from the original owner. It has 142k on the clock.
I drove the vehicle home 50 miles without a hiccup. The next weekend I decided to give the truck a tune up for my own piece of mind which was going to be followed with fluid changes etc.

I changed the plugs and wires went to start the truck and it would crank but not run. I then went back to the forum searches and decided that maybe I needed an ICM. No change. New coil, No change, New distributor and viola fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes as i put my tools away, then took it out around the block. It sounded and felt like it was running 10 times better... then after maybe 2 miles as I was pulling up to a red light it died. It would crank but not turn over. I had it towed.

Back to the forums i go...

I have 40 # of pressure at the rail when I jump the #2-#6 pin connector (with the pcm connected) from both tanks but no spark just cranks. When i disconnect the pcm I have spark and I can get it to turn over and fire with starting fluid. So I think pcm is bad. I pull pcm, inspect it, looks magnificent, no burns, smells etc. but i go and get a new pcm.

New pcm installed and connected. no change. acts just like it did with my previous pcm.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Kush1

Old 12-03-2015, 03:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your NEW DISTRIBUTOR was it a REBUILT distributor? Most rebuilt distributors are junk. I'm not sure why it will run on starting fluid though.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the wiring going to the distributor. Remember our trucks are 20+ years old now and the wiring gets brittle with the heat and age. Ive seen broken wires right at the plug in that wasnt visable by just an eye scan but closer look I found broken wire.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This would probably get more responses if it was moved to the pre 97 forum.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:03 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
On the front of the dizzy you have a Ignition Control Module. These have an aluminum heat sink inside and are a known issue with this type of ignition. They will heat up and it's like turning the key off. Sometimes it will start and run, sometimes it won't. If it's a rebuilt dizzy you installed, my money is on a bad ICM. It's the little gray thingy on the front of the dizzy. Costs about 75-90 bucks. Use ONLY a Motorcraft part or expect issues.

Quick Reply: 1993 f150 v8 302 cranks but wont start HELP!!!