460 oil pump shaft probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 oil pump shaft probs

Ok......Here's what I got fellas. Recently bought a 1988...4X4... F250...460 EFI in great condition. Has 60,000 on the ODO ....don't know if that's right but it sure drives like it. I pulled the dizzy out to replace the side mounted TFI module. When I went to reinstall it I got everything {rotor/dist} lined up with my marks but it wouldn't go all the way down. Tapped on the dist base with the end of a wooden handled hammer and it went in. Hooked everything up, cranked off the motor and no oil pressure. Pulled the dizzy back out and made sure the pump rod was still there.....no. Bought a new rod thinking the old one fell in the pan. Reinstalled again. Same thing....no OP. Pulled dizzy out again and a closer look revealed that the pump rod was there but doesn't seem to be up in the casting far enough to engage in the dist shaft. I mean, it's barely touching the bottom of the casting that the dist gear rides on. I measured the oil pump rod at about 9 1/4 to 9 3/8 inches and from what I've read that's correct. The dizzy gear and shaft end look fine....as in, not damaged and it spins freely. Have I just ruined my oil pump by driving the rod down?

Thanks!
Rick

Old 10-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Sure sounds like it! I used to turn the engine a little to get the oil pump shaft to align. You could have even bumped the starter.

Quick Reply: 460 oil pump shaft probs