AC Compressor bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Compressor bypass

Hello, I have a 2005 F150 4.6L and was wondering if I could bypass the a.c. compressor with a tensioner and belt from a non-a.c. set up vehicle. The compressor clutch bearing is locked up, the pulley will not turn at all and I intend on replacing the entire compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube after winter time as I will not be needing air conditioning until that time. I hope to not have to run a "bypass pulley" to help save time as I need the truck running asap and can not afford to have it down for the amount of time needed to gain access and remove the compressor :/ Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not worth it. Get a compressor at rock auto and just leave it unplugged until you get the rest of the stuff. The compressors are only a few bucks more then a bypass pulley. You do have to use a bypass.

Last edited by jethat; 09-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't have the funds for a compressor and a bypass pulley is much cheaper, but if possible, I'd like to just change that tensioner and belt and not have to deal with removing the compressor just yet..

Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Not worth it. Get a compressor at rock auto and just leave it unplugged until you get the rest of the stuff. The compressors are only a few bucks more then a bypass pulley. You do have to use a bypass.

I understand the OPs position. A compressor might be cheap but vacuuming the system, buying a new dryer, new seals and new FREON $$$$$$ won't be! And that doesn't include the labor or buying the gauges.

Is there ANY way to replace the clutch and/or bearing without breaking into the system? That will save you a TON of money!

And BTW if you leave the system in a non-operating condition for very long, the seals are likely to dry out and leak and then you've HAVE to replace them and all of the above mentioned items including FREON. So don't delay long on this repair.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Is there ANY way to replace the clutch and/or bearing without breaking into the system?
Sure, as long as the problem is CORRECTLY diagnosed to the clutch pulley bearing and not the compressor itself.

Done the pulley and clutch several times on various Fords.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
I understand the OPs position. A compressor might be cheap but vacuuming the system, buying a new dryer, new seals and new FREON $$$$$$ won't be! And that doesn't include the labor or buying the gauges.

Is there ANY way to replace the clutch and/or bearing without breaking into the system? That will save you a TON of money!

And BTW if you leave the system in a non-operating condition for very long, the seals are likely to dry out and leak and then you've HAVE to replace them and all of the above mentioned items including FREON. So don't delay long on this repair.
Yeah, I plan on replacing the seals and orings all at one time so that I won't have to break back into the system for a while again, but for now I need the truck to get me to and from work so, if possible I'd like to know if there is a way to route the belt with my current tensioner or if I can use the "non ac" tensioner and belt to bypass the entire system

Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd like to know if there is a way to route the belt with my current tensioner
No.

f I can use the "non ac" tensioner and belt to bypass the entire system
Yes, you can (if you can find the parts), but keep this in mind: By the time you go through the expense of buying the new parts and spending the time pulling the old ones out and installing the temporary parts, you could instead have actually fixed the system the right way for the same effort and money.

Your choice.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-27-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree. If the problem in just the clutch/bearing then it shouldn't be too hard to fix whereas it will take a good deal of time to locate the right parts to reroute the belt and to by pass the AC compressor and to install them.

My advice, if you don't have time to fix the problem (the bearing) yourself then find a good mechanic to do it instead of a parts changer that just wants to replace the complete compressor and all that that will have to include. Rent a car for a day if necessary. And if necessary pay for everything with a credit card, that's one of the few useful purposes for them. The sooner that you get this fixed CORRECTLY then the better off you'll be and it will cost LESS in the long run.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Kevin Gaston...YOU JUST KEEP THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. In other words, KIN YE BYPASS a seized AC compressor? AYYYE, YE KIN! DISREGARD the naysayers. I SUCCESSFULLY BY PASSED the seized AC compressor on me WIFES 03 4.6 Ford F-150 XLT. And no...didn't cost near what a new compressor, dryer, filter and new seals woulda cost...total spent...bypass ribbed idler pulley...19.00 buckets...shorter serpentine belt...20.00 bucks. Like you, we kint produce money to replace the compressor, et al, to "do the job right". Sometimes just keeping a vehicle running trumps "doing the job right". AYYYYYYE....

Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My compressor went bad, went to a local salvage yard, got a low mileage compressor for $50, installed with new O-rings and now I have cold air for less than $70, and it's been 90 around here lately. Couldn't imagine driving a vehicle without air any more.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
No.

Yes, you can (if you can find the parts), but keep this in mind: By the time you go through the expense of buying the new parts and spending the time pulling the old ones out and installing the temporary parts, you could instead have actually fixed the system the right way for the same effort and money.

Your choice.

you have to change around the design
you would have to change your belt formation you have to run either of the bypass pulley or like he said it would be cheaper just to go to the junkyard and go to a good AC pump put it in place and just let the clutch sit there instead of switching out to the bypass pulley the bypass pulley can run like $45 you should be able to get AC pump good luck

Old 07-26-2020, 08:00 PM
Bypass Woes

Literally stumbled across this thread while searching for answers as to why my Serpentine belt (the new shorter replacement to go with the A/C Bypass pulley i just installed a few hours ago-02' Expedition 5.4L V8)) is somehow a whole lot longer than required even tho the configuration matches the endless hours of CGI
diagram upon diagram I've flashed into my mind and so it just hangs there or rather droops around, upon, off of all the pulleys rather.. Well serpentine like. What now? Was wondering about idler pulley arm adjustment or replacement with a longer one to restore proper tension?? Idk .Help someone plz.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:15 PM
2005 Nissan Xterra

Can I bypass the ac compressor on my 2005 Xterra 4.0 v-8 so I can drive it

Old 02-14-2023, 04:19 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by slotswin83
Can I bypass the ac compressor on my 2005 Xterra 4.0 v-8 so I can drive it
Go ask on a Nissan forum. This is a Ford forum.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: AC Compressor bypass