2008 f150 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 f150 5.4

Hi, 3 weeks ago I traded my 2000 F150 in on a 2008 F150. This 08 is really clean, I was super impressed with how it ran on a long test drive, but the first week I had it I pulled my boat to the lake with it for the first time, and upon arriving at the lake and slowing down to back the trailer in this truck started knocking and dieseling, and sounded horrible! It lasted a few secs and came out of it. Everything fine after that, 2 weeks later , pulled the boat again, same thing... so I come home and do a google search, and come up with this cam phaser issue. My truck doesnt sound like a diesel all the time, it runs smooth and has a very slight tick, not even noticeable in the truck, only twice in 3 weeks has this occurred both times very briefly. Im just worried at this point that I havent even made the first payment on this truck and it could have a potentially serious issue? The truck has 132760 miles on it, I do not know at this moment what oil filter is on it or what oil is being used. I would sure appreciate any insight on this. I tried posting this on the ultimate cam phaser discussion, but dont know if it posted. thanks

Old 09-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, that sounds like the phaser issue. Since it's not knocking all the time yet, you have a few options.
I would suggest, at a minimum, replacing the VCT solenoids. Cost wise, it's not too bad. You could do it yourself for less than $200 if you shop around for parts. The problem is your year. On the 08's, the valve covers have to be removed to replace the VCT solenoids. That's a pain in the rear, and may not work.
The other option is to replace the entire timing system. If you do this, you'll need to replace the VCT solenoids also, which is why I suggest trying that first. This is more expensive, but you can do it yourself for less than $1000. It cost me about $600 for everything, including fluids and gaskets, but I think prices have gone up since then. Obviously, a shop will charge significantly more. I highly suggest using Motorcraft parts, and avoid inferior quality aftermarket parts. Saving money here can cost you big time.
If you've done your research, then you know all about the tensioner failures, causing low oil pressure. People have lived with the phaser issue for thousands of miles with out major issue, but I don't see any benefit to letting any oil pressure issue go without fixing it. To me, it'd be better to take care of it for cheaper now, than replace the whole motor later.
Of course if you have some kind of warranty, use it now. I am assuming you've learned a lot about this issue, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
By the way, my 04 FX4 started having a chain rattle at start up, and quickly developed the diesel noise. It only lasted a few weeks before I replaced it all. That was about 20k miles ago, and she's been great ever since. I even have over 204k miles, and still kicking strong. As long as you act relatively quickly, you shouldn't have to worry about the cam journals or anything else.

Quick Reply: 2008 f150 5.4