5.4 3v loss of low end power HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys I've got a 2005 5.4 3v lariat crew cab 2wd with k&n cold air and Flowmaster 3 inch inlet 2 2 1/4 out

I have major loss of torque up u til about 2200 rpm. with a/c on its horrible. feels like I'm towing a heavy load just going down the road with nothing but myself in the truck. I hAve cleaned the MAF, plugs got changed around 18000 Mikes ago with motocrafts and I just cleaned the throttle body, and air filter about 2 weeks ago also fuel filter was changed at the same time and am currently running a tank with fuel injector cleaner through my truck now. nothing seems to have helped any

any advice on this issue. I've read up some threads and have found some people saying clean the IAC but haven't found anything about the IAC for a 2005. talked to some guys I work with some say it might be transmission related. but not sure due to the fact the truck only has a little over 81000 miles on it.

any light anybody would be able to spread on this issue would be wonderful.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Check the injectors for a leaky one and get the cats checked.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 AM
just look for fuel around the base of the injector? and how would I go about checking cats? just tske them off and see if they are clogged?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The 2005 doesn't have an IAC, it's electronic throttle.

Injectors:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf

An exhaust shop can test the converters.

You may also running excessively lean with that K&N if you don't have a programmer and custom tunes.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:10 PM
I guess I will have to take it to ford and have them check the injectors. also I've had the k&n on for almost 40k and this problem has been present for around 8-10k so would it be wrong of me to think the k&n isint an issue?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Solution??

Originally Posted by littlee1391
Alright guys I've got a 2005 5.4 3v lariat crew cab 2wd with k&n cold air and Flowmaster 3 inch inlet 2 2 1/4 out

I have major loss of torque up u til about 2200 rpm. with a/c on its horrible. feels like I'm towing a heavy load just going down the road with nothing but myself in the truck. I hAve cleaned the MAF, plugs got changed around 18000 Mikes ago with motocrafts and I just cleaned the throttle body, and air filter about 2 weeks ago also fuel filter was changed at the same time and am currently running a tank with fuel injector cleaner through my truck now. nothing seems to have helped any

any advice on this issue. I've read up some threads and have found some people saying clean the IAC but haven't found anything about the IAC for a 2005. talked to some guys I work with some say it might be transmission related. but not sure due to the fact the truck only has a little over 81000 miles on it.

Just came across this thread today as I was browsing (2 years late) only because I'm having the same issue with my '04 Triton 5.4. Just curious if you were able to find the cause of this ailment. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM
There is a fuel driver module under the spare tire see if it is corroded in any way, I experienced a lot of the same problems until one day the truck lost all power completely I have a 2008 fx2 5.4l with over 220km on it.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:52 PM
Same loss of power issue

Originally Posted by frameflip
Just came across this thread today as I was browsing (2 years late) only because I'm having the same issue with my '04 Triton 5.4. Just curious if you were able to find the cause of this ailment. Thanks in advance!
Did you find out what the issue was? I’m having the same thing happening to me right now! I just finished a timing chain kit job 2000 miles ago, and now this!!
Any suggestions before I go ahead and replace my Catalytic converters?

Old 07-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by littlee1391

Did you find out what the issue was? I’m having the same thing happening to me right now! I just finished a timing chain kit job 2000 miles ago, and now this!!
Any suggestions before I go ahead and replace my Catalytic converters?

Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 PM
glc
Go to a muffler shop and get the cats checked.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:07 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Go to a muffler shop and get the cats checked.
If the cats are plugged, they would affect upper rpm power more so than low rpm power.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:43 PM
glc
Reading your post again, if you are having the EXACT SAME issue as the previous posters, you may have mistimed the engine when you did the timing chain job, and/or the phasers aren't working properly. Have you scanned the OBD2 for codes?

Old 07-20-2020, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Reading your post again, if you are having the EXACT SAME issue as the previous posters, you may have mistimed the engine when you did the timing chain job, and/or the phasers aren't working properly. Have you scanned the OBD2 for codes?
yes, when it first happened I had a P2006 code, but it could have been there for a while.. I was suffering a mild case of rough idle before I did the timing job as well.
I had driven for a week and took to my mechanic, and there are no codes since I reset it.
The timing was done correctly, but I wonder if the cam phaser already went bad again, or if I didn’t torque the cam phaser bolt enough, but I did the 30lb+ quarter turn-thing.
I do have a ticking noise back, but it doesn’t go away when i high rpm, which makes me believe it could be a lifter (did not replace the lifters and roller follower🤦‍♂️, but going back in there on the 30 to take care of that+camshaft&#128077.
if I step hard on the gas pedal, the symptoms will last from lower rpm all the way to high… If I step lightly, the loss of power will start around 14000rpm, and go away after around 2200 RPMs. I wonder if it’s because the torque curve comes down, which generate less gases and allow the semi plugged catalyzer us to let the gases scape??
I am installing for new Walker catalytic converters, JBS 1676 headers and magnaflow muffler this weekend(I was doing the other two already, and got a deal on the labor.. figured it doesn’t hurt to replace them regardless).
I have this truck since brand new (F150-04), and finally decided to build an Overland out of it. It only has 150,000 miles and it was very clean when I opened it up. I never had this loss of power, I don’t want to lose the engine since I already put fox shocks 2.5 extra resi and Dsc, 5-star tuner, 4.30 gear, e-locker and eaton lsd..
thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply: 5.4 3v loss of low end power HELP!!!!!!