Please Help! Lots of Air coming out gas cap and stomp gas to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Lots of Air coming out gas cap and stomp gas to start

We have a 2005 f150, 5.4. Its been the typical 5.4 we done replaced cam phasers, timing and all them goodies. Its been a good truck after this but a couple weeks ago i ran it out of gas and it was trying to die we just kept shaking the steering wheel knowing the gas station was .5 miles away and she limped there while shaking the truck heavily. Got gas and thought great on our way. We went to the store and when we got back in it she was fine started right back up, but then the next time we went to start it about 90 mins later it cranked and cranked and cranked and finally decided to give it gas on the pedal while it was cranking and it will start up after a few seconds of cranking. Now its been like this everytime we start it for the last 2+ weeks. If you start it right up after its been riding awhile usually it will start up without gas or excessive cranking. Now this has us stumped, we had a fuel pump put in it and changed the fuel filters, the injectors, spark plugs and wires all within the last 6 months. Now if this only want to start with gas pedal didnt stump us enough the hubby likes to give it gas while its running and he went to open the gas cap and it shot air, like a good bit of air out of the tank and then wanted to die. He came home and told me and we have checked the gas cap removal everyday for the last 3 days and everytime you pop the gas cap started it dies immediatly after releasing lots of air. Its a puzzle and we could really use some help on what to change, we dont have alot of money to gamble around so hoping someone might have a answer. Please help

Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in a while, and it doesn't cost much. Also sounds like the tank may not be venting.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do a line fuel pressure check first. Taking off the gas cap should not cause the truck to die. Does this truck have 2 gas tanks? if not, fuel filter change first as JCR56 has said. Never heard of anything like this before. Also check the FPDM above the spare tire.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No codes?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I would do a line fuel pressure check first.
Only way to do that is with a scanner - there's no test port on a 05.

the hubby likes to give it gas while its running
Shouldn't do that.

Quick Reply: Please Help! Lots of Air coming out gas cap and stomp gas to start