5.4 start up rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5.4 start up rattle

here is a background. its an 06 with 200,000 miles. I just replaced the tensioners and guides about 3000 miles ago. I torqued everything down to spec. I didn't check the chains or phasers while I was in there. that's my stupid fault. it has been doing this rattle for about 10,000 miles now. I always use motorcraft 5-20 oil and motorcraft filter. my wife didn't time the video perfectly but at the beginning you can hear it rattling when I start the truck then go away. anyone tell me what the issue is. im tired of hearing it whenever I start the truck. thanks in advance

http://vid176.photobucket.com/albums...O00016%202.mp4

Old 04-29-2015, 09:54 PM
wow 147 views and none can tell me exactly what it is so I know what to replace?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 PM
I found a TSB that ford released that said this

START UP RATTLE

Some 2004 F-150 and 2005 F-150, Expedition, Navigator, F-Super Duty, and Mustang vehicles may have a rattle on startup that lasts 1 to 3 seconds. If initial pre-checks have been completed and the noise sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine, replace the VCT Phaser Kit. If the engine continues to make the rattle noise after the initial startup do not exchange VCT.

could it really be the phasers making it rattle like that since the tensioner and guides are new?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds really bad. get it looked fast before you blow the motor!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by RevBiker
sounds really bad. get it looked fast before you blow the motor!
its been doing it for almost 3 years now. I doubt its going to blow the motor or it would have probably already done so. im just tired of people starring at me when I start the truck in a parking lot

Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What oil filter do you use? If the anti-drainback valve is allowing all the oil back into the sump when the engine is off, you are dry starting the phasers every time. Try the ford FL820s if you aren't using it already.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
^^^

I always use motorcraft 5-20 oil and motorcraft filter.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by tcp2
What oil filter do you use? If the anti-drainback valve is allowing all the oil back into the sump when the engine is off, you are dry starting the phasers every time. Try the ford FL820s if you aren't using it already.
yep always use motorcraft. ever since before it started rattleing

Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Never ever use a fram oil filters. I listen to your noise again, could it be a cracked or loose flex plate. if it is, the noise will go away fast when you put it in gear, R or D. Sound does travel??? Get a 3 or 4 ft. pc of 3/4 heater hose and put where you think the noise is coming from & the other end by your ear,then start the engine. works really good for finding noises.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Mine has fresh phasers and solenoids 1,200 miles ago and it still rattles at start-up...dealer did an oil change at the same time, so I assume motorcraft filter and oil...

I have been using motorcraft filters for a while now...it helped a little. The rattling used to last a bit longer at start-up...now its about 5 seconds...

Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 PM
I read somewhere that you should make sure where the solenoids fit into , (clean it real good!) No carbon build up in the holes. Being a little dirty can make the solenoids not work correctly.
I know you are looking for idea's ???? 5 seconds, Sometimes you can get a smaller/ shorter oil filter. On a Volvo 2.9L , if you use the bigger filter, engine noisy on start up, I have found smaller/short filters from different manufactures that stops the noise and they use the same part number, go figure! don't use FRAM!

Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
The Motorcraft filter FL-820S is about the same price as a Fram...so why not use it...I think they are $ 3.99 at Wally World, and O'Reilley's...The place I use for oil changes gives me a $ 4 credit for providing my own filter, but they use Chevron Oil (5-20 standard)...

Not to hijack the thread...are frams really that bad? I watch alot of Velocity channel...Chasing Cars is pretty interesting...I saw 2 of the bright orange filters on a Ferrari (i think) in one episode... are they ok for an Italian Sports car but not a Ford...Trust me, I think Motorcraft is superior...

Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by RevBiker
Never ever use a fram oil filters. I listen to your noise again, could it be a cracked or loose flex plate. if it is, the noise will go away fast when you put it in gear, R or D. Sound does travel??? Get a 3 or 4 ft. pc of 3/4 heater hose and put where you think the noise is coming from & the other end by your ear,then start the engine. works really good for finding noises.
No it's definitely louder in the engine compartment. I was up under the truck when it first started doing it and you couldn't hear it near as good

Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 AM
9 OIL FILTERS CUT AWAY ( LOOK INSIDE) you choose which filter your going to use?
http://safeshare.tv/w/RbVvQAtRhW (NOT THE FRAM!)

Old 05-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atyates
its been doing it for almost 3 years now. I doubt its going to blow the motor or it would have probably already done so. im just tired of people starring at me when I start the truck in a parking lot
Define "blow the motor". Lots of engines these days are machined to the point that they can function with internal damage (like yours no doubt has), but you will hear it. One of the common failures when the 5.4 oil pump gets clogged (thank you, flimsy timing chain guides) are the crank thrust bearings.

Originally Posted by kcward
Mine has fresh phasers and solenoids 1,200 miles ago and it still rattles at start-up...dealer did an oil change at the same time, so I assume motorcraft filter and oil...

I have been using motorcraft filters for a while now...it helped a little. The rattling used to last a bit longer at start-up...now its about 5 seconds...
See above. All the oil changes in the world don't help garbage timing chain guides that end up in the oil pan. (FWIW, the old 2v 5.4 metal guides fit just fine.)

Originally Posted by kcward
Not to hijack the thread...are frams really that bad? I watch alot of Velocity channel...Chasing Cars is pretty interesting...I saw 2 of the bright orange filters on a Ferrari (i think) in one episode... are they ok for an Italian Sports car but not a Ford...Trust me, I think Motorcraft is superior...
No. Anyone can post a website of a guy cutting open a filter, but was anyone complaining about Fram before that? I doubt it...at least any more than any other filter that's ever failed. Like I mentioned elsewhere, Honda OEM filters are made by Fram/Honeywell. Any manufacturer's low end product could be questionable, to say the least. OTOH, even a high end filter can fail. Luck of the draw. My old 94 Ranger went to 283k miles using Frams at least once, I'm sure. (Granted, I use Motorcrafts on both my F150s...but I do those on my oil change mystery shops, so I get reimbursed, anyway.)

Quick Reply: 5.4 start up rattle