2006 ford f150 cam phasers - lockouts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ford f150 cam phasers - lockouts?

I have a 2006 ford f150 5.4 triton. I think the phasers are bad/going bad. The truck is a little rough when I first start it and idle/drive. Once it's warmed up it starts to knock like a desiel and will stall anytime I'm going to a stop. The codes it threw are p0022, p0345, and another one for the alternator, I forget it. The battery light also comes on in the dash. I started my truck and let it get to warm temp, then when I went to put it into reverse or drive it would want to stall. In park and netrual it would just shake some and sound like a desiel. I unplugged bank 2 cps (can position sensor) and the knock went away. The idle was still rough and it would throw cels but it wouldn't knock or stall when put into gears. That's my phasers correct? If you think I'm wrong please correct me. But here are my questions. Assuming it is my phasers and I want to replace them, has anyone tried the cam phaser lockout? I know you'll lose power and what not, but I've heard it's more of a permanent fix. I wouldn't have to deal with this phaser problem again if I put in the lockouts? Here is the site to them http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Livernois-Motorsports-Exclusive-Products/Cam-Phasers-%26-Lockouts/

Last edited by toshortofnam; 04-17-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Anyone have some input on this?

Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Has anyone used them or know someone who has

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It's the weekend. Be patient and you will get help.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have not addressed the "Why?" part of why the phasers but the dust, though.

The phasers need 25 PSI to operate. You can get the idea what happens in any other engine when you run the oil pressure too low and that's not any different in a 24-valve Triton, either.

If you drop in some lockouts, you're totally overlooking any other possibly present engine damage and may indeed be buying phasers just to throw money away.

Anyway, keeping those flimsy factory timing chain cassettes from grenading and falling down into and clogging the oil pan would be helpful.

Last edited by AlfredB18; 04-19-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by AlfredB18
You have not addressed the "Why?" part of why the phasers but the dust, though.

The phasers need 25 PSI to operate. You can get the idea what happens in any other engine when you run the oil pressure too low and that's not any different in a 24-valve Triton, either.

If you drop in some lockouts, you're totally overlooking any other possibly present engine damage and may indeed be buying phasers just to throw money away.

Anyway, keeping those flimsy factory timing chain cassettes from grenading and falling down into and clogging the oil pan would be helpful.
Well I haven't had the truck long. I'm assuming the person before me wasn't good with their oil, and from my understanding that a lot of the time you can be spot on with the oil and they'll still fail and need replaced before 100k miles. I was thinking about buying the phasers that have the lockouts installed in them already and putting them on over my current ones. How?

Quick Reply: 2006 ford f150 cam phasers - lockouts?