New 5.4 rebuild problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 5.4 rebuild problem

After 500 miles on a rebuilt engine I had the oil changed and within 5 miles it started running rough a check engine light came on. Oil level is full Put code reader and got p0022 and p0305 which are timing and misfire related. plan on putting a manual oil preasure gage on it when tomorrow. The mechanic that did the swap suggest running heavier oil. Does anyone have experience doing that? any help appreciated.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running heavier oil is not a fix.

Did your mechanic rebuild the engine? Or is it a reman'd swap?

Your fault p0022 pertains to timing over retarded - bank 2. I would make sure your vct solenoid is fully plugged in to start. If your engine was rebuilt, I would replace both vct solenoids. Any contamination on the inlet screens will cause a failure. I would also recommend running nothing but the Ford oil filter. Any filter without the anti-drain back valve will cause premature failure of the vct system.

Fault p0305 is a misfire on cylinder 5. Front driver side. Are you reusing your coils? What about spark plugs? Usually the misfire will be caused by either of those two components. Swap your #5 coil with another, I prefer swapping to one that's not directly beside the cylinder that has thrown the fault. If you swap with cylinder 7, and you throw p0307, you will have a bad coil.

Any other information you have on your rebuilt engine will help as well. Why did you originally have it rebuilt?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:24 AM
5.40rebuild

Thanks for the reply. Engine is a rebuild from a rebuilrer in in New Jersey. Old engine started giving about the same codes and when the shop pulled the valve covers and timing chaine covers off ther was enough damage that we made the decision to replace the engine. After this one started throwing codes I had them put a remote oil preasure guage on it and at hot idle only had 15-17 lbs which I understand is not enough to operate the cam phasers. all new plugs boots coils and selonides where used. If you are familiar with the 3 valve I would like to talk to you if you eould I can give you my # or I'll call you. The rebuilder is being very unresponsive. Theres even more to this but I would rather discuss it on the phone.
Thanks, Mac

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM
After having his engine rebuilt,another guy had the same problem, pulled the oil pan and found pc's of shop towels clogged the pick up screen for the oil pump. but he had no oil pressure!

Quick Reply: New 5.4 rebuild problem