Help appreciated, does this sound like timing chain noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help appreciated, does this sound like timing chain noise?

Posted about noise in another thread and thought that the higher octane fuel helped, but turns out it really didn't.

2001 5.4 2V F150 Screw, with my stethoscope the noise is loudest directly on top of driver's side cam gear cover (valve cover, round part in the very front). When you get timing chain tensioner or guide failure, does it usually slap the cam gear cover? Besides being loudest there, I can also feel it up thru the scope better there than anywhere else.
I also pulled the wiring harness from each coil pack, one at a time, and none of them affected the noise; it was still there and just as loud. So if what I am understanding is correct, it can't be rod knock or main bearing knock. It is also very quiet when I place the stethoscope anywhere on the bottom end.
There is a rattle at startup, then it is quiet until it gets good and warmed up. At that point, you can ease on the throttle with it in park and hear the noise in this video.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
First question - what are you using for oil and filter?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
First question - what are you using for oil and filter?
Yes I am using the motorcraft filter and motorcraft 5-20 semi synthetic. Not sure what previous owner used. Just bought it a couple weeks ago and the noise has been getting more prominent. I got the oil changed as soon as I got it home from buying it. Believe it was a Napa filter previously.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Take your belt off and start engine, see if noise goes away. could be a pulley bearing noise?? if noise is still there, it in the motor.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
turned out to be a spun rod.
getting a local machine shop to rebuild the entire motor for me.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a spun rod bearing then you lost oil pressure or just plain lubrication at some time. Before you spend money having it rebuilt make sure that it can be rebuilt. Some shops don't have the capability to rebuild these engines if there has been excessive damage to other internal components because of a loss of oil pressure/lubrication. Cyl head cam bearing and cams may also be damaged. The probable cause here is that the one noise you hear in the front is from the chain slapping and shredding the nylon chain guide allowing the debris to drop into the oil pan and plug the oil pickup tube screen slowing oil flow, pressure and starving the engine of oil...= spun bearing... I can hear the whining noise from the chain. Just be aware of throwing more money into this engine only to discover its junk at this point.. Maybe not but its possible. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Well the timing chains and tensioners were in great shape, but the driver side head looked starved for oil. There are many shavings in the oil.
I have a very reputable rebuilder/machine shop set up to do the rebuild. He's done quite a few of these engines, and he has a warrantee. I chose to go this route over a reman part house motor because he's been in business for over 20 years in the same location and talked me thru his processes. He also told me it may take him two or three weeks to complete, because he's very busy this time of year, and he doesn't rush. I am perfectly thrilled to hear that answer.
What's kinda frustrating is I am a toolmaker with a major oem and have all the tools necessary to do this job, but we aren't allowed to work on our vehicles.

Quick Reply: Help appreciated, does this sound like timing chain noise?