99 Lincoln Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Lincoln Navigator

Good evening, New to the post and need some info to move forward in project. I had purchased a Navigator pretty cheap, and had taken valve cover off, and eventually pulled the head due to secondary timing chain being broken.

It being an DOHC 32V, the cam closest to the motor had stacked and beat the channel up pretty bad, along with cam itself.

Also only bend two valves, which is an easy fix.

The question I have is:

should I buy a rebuilt head, or have this head taken to machine shop to try and get repaired. If taken to machine shop about what price should I expect? Again this is just for the cam and the channel with upper bracket to be repaired.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd take it to a machine shop and have them look at it, get an opinion and quote. Compare that price to the cost of a rebuilt head.

If you are going to go to the trouble of doing this, I'd get both heads redone.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 PM
99 Nav

I haven't messed with the right head, when under compressed air we had it at 120 psi with no blowby or leaks. Also when testing compression it was around 115 - 120 at idle. I will be installing new chains, tensioners, and oil pump. Just not sure if it can be machined or not, and hate to drive 40 miles just to be told no lol

Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there isnt that much to reconditioning heads. All machine shops very in price so I would take it in and let them look at it. Repairing will/should be way cheaper then gettin a new one.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Machine Shop Results

I had taken the head to a machine shop this afternoon, after a quick glance from the guy, he had said it is too far gone to be machined, and basically told me to start looking for a new head.

Now a question of why this has happened is assuming that someone ran this motor low of oil which would cause the cam to stack on the followers, causing friction and chew up both the cam and followers? or is there another explanation on why this would happen?

Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You should probably take a good look at the other head too.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe it would be wise to just look for a different motor completely. Check out nearby junk yards..

Quick Reply: 99 Lincoln Navigator