Green gooze in oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green gooze in oil cap?

I'm really hoping this isn't a leaky gasket from my coolant.

Could it be normal condensation]?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If the oil is not milky, it's just condensation from short runs in cold weather.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks normal to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm with Bluejay on this. Water vapor condenses and forms a gunky foam around the oil cap if the engine is not allowed to warm to normal operating temperatures in day to day driving. I'd wipe it off and take your truck on a long drive.

- Jack

Old 03-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Appreciate the feedback. Never had a symptom like that in any other vehicle before

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The other vehicles probably didn't have a built-in condensation tower for an oil filler. You typically won't see this on engines whose oil caps are nearly flush with the valve cover.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Happens a lot up here, even if you change your oil. I put in a lil engine treatment, and a good hwy drive and its gone. My wifes truck is a city driver and some hwy for trips. hers always gets it in the winter.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Could also be a blown head gasket, if the truck is starting to overhead, other than that the gunk is normal.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 PM
***Overheat***

Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM
short trips, motor not getting time enough to heat up and burn it away!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:46 PM
PCV valve ?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many times do we have to answer this question??????? Set up something that requires new members to read posts on this issue when they register. Sheeeeeeesssssshhhhhhh!

Jim

Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
haha its funny to hear that cause I was about to post the samething. I discover that too on my f-150 2014 and I was like what the hell is this...

So as I see its not a critical thing I guess cause I do short driving about 10 to 15 km to go to work...

Should I worry about something else or its only cause of a short driving ?

Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jaymz
How many times do we have to answer this question??????? Set up something that requires new members to read posts on this issue when they register. Sheeeeeeesssssshhhhhhh!

Jim
Jim, please don't think I'm picking on you when I say, "How many times do we have to read the complaints about new guys not "searching" before posting, or otherwise, asking the same old questions over and over? Sheeeeeeessssshhhhhh!"

Yes, like you, I get tired of it and often wish, somehow, we could get people to "smarten up". Ain't gonna happen. There will ALWAYS be "the same old questions", over and over. There's nothing new under the sun.

When I start to feel a little tired of these kinds of forum issues, I stop and recall that I too, was a new guy once. And, when I was new to the forum, I had no idea of the wealth of information it contained. Yes, I knew how to "search", but remember, you have to know which search terms to use if you're going to get results.

I just did an advanced search using the string "oil green gooze" and got NO hits. I searched using "green gooze" and got only this thread. I searched using "foam in oil" and got two pages worth. The answer was buried amongst those. I'm sure there are other search strings that would give results too, but I'm satisfied with what I got. If Trent, being new, did not know how rich this forum is in solutions and tried the wrong search string, then his reasonable response would be to post, as he did.

I WILL say, it's nice that he responded with a "thank you" for the help he received, but you cannot always expect thanks, either. I've learned to "shrug" and carry on.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Less experienced people will always have (often the same) questions that more experienced people can answer. When we give our answers freely and cheerfully, we help to elevate those newer folks to the ranks of the "experienced". They, in turn, will then be able to help even newer people.

Don't be angry or impatient with this process. It's a normal activity in a civilized, free society.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 03-28-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow Jack, good post. It took me 2 sittings to read it though because I had to go out and feed my Unicorn! Just funnin' with ya.

I usually just skip over the repeat questions, then I'll jump in about every 3rd or 4th time I see it come up. (That's if I have a clue about the subject) BTW does anybody know where that yellow plunger thingie goes in my transmission?

Quick Reply: Green gooze in oil cap?