Need help 2008 4.6 v8

Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help 2008 4.6 v8

Good evening everyone,
About a week ago my truck stalled unexpectedly at the grocery store about a mile from home, I was able to limp back home and after a quick inspection discovered that the jumper wire from the MAF had dropped out of the bracket, and apparently laid on the front edge of the head and melted through 2 wires. I was able to repair and the engine ran fine, cleared the codes and they did not return.
I was not real confident that my repair would be a permanent fix so I bought a new jumper from the dealer and installed Friday afternoon. Upon installation of new jumper the check engine light came on and I am able to get 2 codes p0191 and p1233. The engine will have an intermittent choppy idle but runs fine under throttle and can drive with no issues whatsoever. I can clear the codes while the engine is running and the check engine light will stay off but when I turn the engine off and restart the check engine light will come back on within 20 seconds. I tried putting the old jumper back on but have the same problem.
Any idea what might be going on?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:00 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
http://engine-codes.com/p0191_ford.html

http://engine-codes.com/p1233_ford.html

Check your FPDM for corrosion. Check the wiring to the FRPS.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Thanks GLC. I will drop the spare tire this afternoon and check out the FPDM and then if necessary start looking into the wiring.
If I get into checking the wiring, could it be something as simple as a corroded wire that is connected to the FRPS? Like everywhere else in the country we have had a crazy winter and there is a lot of splash/spray under the hood.
It is strange how the check engine light will come on but I have no issues and can clear the codes and as long as I do not turn the engine off the check engine light will not come back on.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 AM
do a search for "Fuel Pump Driver Module Replacement" above.This maybe your answer!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM
if it is the module, get a dorman off ebay, its body is coated and comes with rubber spacers longer bolts. $57.00 too!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:49 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Unfortunately, the Dormans have a high DOA and early failure rate. $117 for a Motorcraft from Tasca is a much better bet.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. I did some quick searching this morning and seeing how the FPDM seems to disintegrate and the fact that I live in Maryland and salt is heavily applied I fully expect that when I drop my spare I will find a mess. Most of the posts I found led me to believe that the Dorman part was the better of the choices and that is what I ordered, oh well it should be better than what I find is left of the original one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help 2008 4.6 v8