05 5.4 78k lost 2.4 at oil in 18 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4 78k lost 2.4 at oil in 18 miles

I got my 05 5.4 in June '14 with 63K miles. Since Nov I've been to the dealership due to a high pitched noise that ear pinching squeeling for randomly 20-30 seconds at a time of the temp drops below 20 degrees (MN, it's gets cold!) and it randomly will make the noise either at whatever temp the engine is at.... With heat on or off, idling or running doesn't matter it's just random. Every time I have brought it in it wouldn't do it,... Ford replaced the motor blower, no fix. Ford replaced the alternator, when I picked up the truck and drove 18 miles I had low/acceleration power so pulled over and attempted to call ford with no answer for about 8 calls and 15/20 mins. I drove back to the dealership, my truck was 2.4qt low on oil. (Truck had an oil change at the deal ship along with the 75k mile recommended maintenance less than a week/800 miles and had been at ford 5 out of the previous 7 days and not a mention of an oil leak). They now says it's the pvc valve which it's now supposed to arrive tomorrow (02/24/15) morning. I'm concerned that this isn't going to fix the problem not will my truck be making its way home anytime soon.... I'm just looking for some hopefully suggestions at this point other than brining it to another dealership which I will be after this point.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds to me like the oil filter was not screwed in properly. Good luck!

Yes, I'd definitely take it to a different dealership.

- Jack

Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The 05 5.4 doesn't have a PCV valve, it has a fixed orifice in the valve cover.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
I have that whining high pitched noise to when it is cold. Although I have the 03 5.4 . Did yours follow the rpm of the engine as it shifted. It only does it when it is cold. never when it is warm.

I have read on the forum that they have replaced alternators and it solved the problem. I couldn't tell by your post if changing the alternator solved the whining noise?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
when the fan belt gets old it will squeal when you first start the engine on a cold morning. Change the belt.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
when the fan belt gets old it will squeal when you first start the engine on a cold morning. Change the belt.
I did change the belt. It didn't change anything.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Update

Ford replaced the alternator (or rather warranty solutions since I bought the extended warranty thankfully) and I drove the truck after for 18 miles before brining back to ford for the acceleration issue. For has had my truck since February 17. This past Friday it was decided now I need a new transmission, which again my warranty covers (thankfully).... As now I am supposed to have my truck back on wed..... And see how it runs then. Until then I'm at the least frustrated. I have no idea if the sound is still going to be present or not.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Follow up

Originally Posted by summerboating
I have that whining high pitched noise to when it is cold. Although I have the 03 5.4 . Did yours follow the rpm of the engine as it shifted. It only does it when it is cold. never when it is warm.

I have read on the forum that they have replaced alternators and it solved the problem. I couldn't tell by your post if changing the alternator solved the whining noise?
They replaced the alternator they said the noise was being produced by the bearings.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by glc
The 05 5.4 doesn't have a PCV valve, it has a fixed orifice in the valve cover.
I'll look more into this as my invoice from the deals her says pvc valve. And if that's the case I'd like to know what they really did.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by summerboating

It never seemed to effect th way the truck ran, the rpm never stuck or had an issue going between gears..... Until after the new alternator was installed. Now I'm getting a rebuilt transmission installed..... Eta is Wednesday

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Sounds to me like the oil filter was not screwed in properly. Good luck!

Yes, I'd definitely take it to a different dealership.

- Jack
I'll bring it to another dealership for another opinion as soon as it will at least drive that far.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 78k lost 2.4 at oil in 18 miles