Cruise Control not working...still. Out of ideas

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cruise Control not working...still. Out of ideas

Hello guys. I'm not only new here to the website but to the United States too so please bare with me.

I have a 2002 F150 XLT 5.4L V8. I noticed that the cruise control wasn't working on it so I started looking into this online.

First I checked all fuses to make sure the problem wasn't there. It wasn't.

After some research I tried the cruise control self that and it gave a an error code which was 3 flashes. This code means the 'deactivator switch is open or circuit is defective'.

So I ordered a new switch online and it arrived last night. I replaced the old one (which was leaking) for the new one but it didn't change anything. I still have the same issue and the same error code.

Any idea what I should try or should I just admit defeat and take it into a garage?

Thank you guys.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
This year had a recall for a switch that goes bad, starts leaking. It is at the end of the master cylinder. This is the switch that shuts off the cruise when you hit the brakes. I would go online and see if the recall replacement was done and if it has, then I would check out that switch and wiring.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Also, have you checked the third brake light? This is part of the continuity system.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you Bluejay for your reply,

The 3rd break light does work. I take it I can check the recall status on Fords website? Will they do a recall on a 2002 vehicle?

I am sorry if I am asking stupid questions. There are a lot of things different that I am use to.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Howdy &

There is also another switch - on the brake pedal. More info in this thread.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...rol-issue.html

BTW- good thing you replaced that switch - the recall also installed a revised harness with a fuse in it fer further protection against a future leak/short/fire. You need that. So - listen to ol' Jed.

This is what happened to some of those trucks:

Good luck!

Ol' Bubber - Th' Friendly Clown.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Smithtopher
Thank you Bluejay for your reply,

The 3rd break light does work. I take it I can check the recall status on Fords website? Will they do a recall on a 2002 vehicle?

I am sorry if I am asking stupid questions. There are a lot of things different that I am use to.
Yes, you should be able to go to Ford's site, enter your vin, and see if all recalls have been done.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The recall may have already been done, and the inline fuse in the recall harness may be blown. I think you can simply unplug the recall harness and connect the original harness to the new switch.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Ok guys, update.

I took glc's advice and did just that. The self test passed and I can feel the gas pedal move slightly when doing the self test.

When I run the engine and try and turn the cruise control on it will not light up on the dashboard. I figured that maybe because I had it in park and I had my foot on the break that it wouldn't turn on.

I decided to take it around the parking lot (I am at work right now) but it still wouldn't turn on. Is it because I was going under 30mph? Is there anything else that I am missing?

I really do appreciate all your help

Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Ok guys, update.

I took glc's advice and did just that. The self test passed and I can feel the gas pedal move slightly when doing the self test.

When I run the engine and try and turn the cruise control on it will not light up on the dashboard. I figured that maybe because I had it in park and I had my foot on the break that it wouldn't turn on.

I decided to take it around the parking lot (I am at work right now) but it still wouldn't turn on. Is it because I was going under 30mph? Is there anything else that I am missing?

I really do appreciate all your help
Hey.

From ye Owner's guide - page 86:

Press SET ACCEL. For speed
control to operate, the speed
control must be ON and the
vehicle speed must be greater
than 48 km/h (30 mph).

MGD

Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 AM
I mean will the cruise control only come on if I am going over 30mph?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
I mean will the cruise control only come on if I am going over 30mph?
The above excerpt means - you cannot engage Cruise unless you are travelling > 30 mph. Anything less and it will not engage.

MGD

Old 02-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey, so I looked into this a little more.

What I thought would happen was after I turn the engine on and pushed the "ON" button the cruise light would come on letting me know that cruise control had been turned on and it was ready for me to set a speed (over 30mph of course). It wasn't doing this. I learned that the cruise light only comes on after you push the "SET" button after pushing the "ON" button. Something minor but either way, I didn't know this.

Some of my previous vehicles did it this way so I just assumed Ford did it this way too.

Anyway, the good news is I tested and the cruise control now works. I really appreciate everyone who got involved to help me with this. Thank you so much!!

Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Now - for an additional degree of safety you should go by a Ford dealer and get a new fused harness. If that switch leaks it can short out and start the vehicle on fire. That's why the fused harness. The new switch you bought *should* be an improved model but it never hurts to be safe.

Part number for the fused harness is 8W7Z-14A411-C and costs about 18 bucks.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Now - for an additional degree of safety you should go by a Ford dealer and get a new fused harness. If that switch leaks it can short out and start the vehicle on fire. That's why the fused harness. The new switch you bought *should* be an improved model but it never hurts to be safe.

Part number for the fused harness is 8W7Z-14A411-C and costs about 18 bucks.
Thank you so much for letting me know. I will pick one of these up as soon as I can. My drive to work is a 25 mile straight run so it is nice to have the cruise control working.

You have all been great. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control not working...still. Out of ideas