Worth the 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth the 4x4?

Looking at getting a 2011 F150 or newer.
5.0 Liter and wanting a 4x4.
Though look at price differences, is it really worth it?
I'll be hauling a 2 horse trailer often, just to a local park to ride in and the occasional 30-60 minute drive to barrel races.
None require any extreme climbing or muddy terrain. I live in Vegas and it's not bad.

Though there might be that occasional trip here and there we go a little off road. Though noting crazy since we'd have a trailer.

What're your thoughts? This is my first time buying a truck.
Either way, I'd be adding a 2.5" leveling kit and 33" tires.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hentz
Looking at getting a 2011 F150 or newer.
5.0 Liter and wanting a 4x4.
Though look at price differences, is it really worth it?
I'll be hauling a 2 horse trailer often, just to a local park to ride in and the occasional 30-60 minute drive to barrel races.
None require any extreme climbing or muddy terrain. I live in Vegas and it's not bad.

Though there might be that occasional trip here and there we go a little off road. Though noting crazy since we'd have a trailer.

What're your thoughts? This is my first time buying a truck.
Either way, I'd be adding a 2.5" leveling kit and 33" tires.

Hey.

Save the $$$, save the weight, save the fuel mileage, save the extra maintenance.

For yer situation & usage - ye don't need it.

BTW - stick to a 2" or less level - or ye'll be wearing out the font-end prematurely. And ye ayssend will sag and look kinda ghey when towing heavy.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4WD truly is a "need" scenario IMO. If you don't "need" it, it doesn't do much for ya. From what you described, 4WD buys you nothing. Even with some off reading, take this into consideration...I lived in SoCal fora while (desert terrain) and those boys down there with a good rear end and the right tires had zero need for 4WD.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had to pay about $5k more because I had to have a 4x4 F150..

I actually almost bought the 4x2 version of my same truck, but just couldn't do it... I use 4 lo just to park my TT more than anything else... If I only had a 4x2, I'd be "stuck"...

So, it just comes down to what you need over what you want..

I wanted to save $5k, but when I'm parking my TT and need to get up that steep, gravel driveway and make a jack knife maneuver at the end, 4 lo sure makes it easy.

Besides, it's just nice to know I have it and I've used it other times too, so it's all good..

No real extra maintenance that I'm aware of?? Sure, there is an extra couple of quarts of fluid for the transfer case and a front diff to deal with, but you don't have to change those very often.

The 4x2 version was rated 1 mpg better on the sticker than the 4x4 version.

But, what works for me does not mean that works for you, so there you go..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 01-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hey. Save the $$$, save the weight, save the fuel mileage, save the extra maintenance. For yer situation & usage - ye don't need it. BTW - stick to a 2" or less level - or ye'll be wearing out the font-end prematurely. And ye ayssend will sag and look kinda ghey when towing heavy. good luck MGD
^^^Literally everything I was going to say.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me it's a matter of personal preference; based on what you've described it doesn't sound like you would reap any benefits from having 4WD. Myself, I wasn't going to buy a new truck that didn't have 'FX4' on the side; I might only use 4WD two or three times a year but to me it is worth it. Smart financially? Probably not. Makes me happy? Yes.

Quick Reply: Worth the 4x4?