05 F150 misfires, shake, new user

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 F150 misfires, shake, new user

Hello all here, First time posting but I have used these forums a lot lately for help. I hope I am posting in the correct place and all. I have a 2005 F150 5.4 Automatic 4x4 with 134k miles, Throwing a misfire on cylinder #1(P0301), misfire on start up first 1000 revs (P0316), system cat efficiency below threshold on bank 1 and 2 (P0420 &P0430),and a Cylinder head over temp (P1285) it has idle shakes (u can just feel it slightly bouncing around i guess would explain it?), around 40-50mph (most common time it happens) it will shake violently under load and shift itself out of it or i can let off the gas and stop it, Then at around 70-75mph my Cel will flash in 1 second intervals and the engine seems to have no power til halfway through the flashing then it feels like the engine grabs power back and runs fine til it blinks the CEL again shortly after. I read through these forums about plugs and packs so I had those changed ( all 8 each), camphaser job done (complete new parts), VCT solenoids, fuel filter, fuel pump delivery module, transmission output sensor, cylinder head temp sensor from (P01285), drivers side cam position sensor, both catalytic converters changed. It has been to two different Ford garages and all I can get is a guess at whats wrong which includes most of the parts stated above( for a price each time of course*). The Garages could only pull the misfire on cylinder 1 they said but i purchased the Torque app and i have my own scanner which only shows the cat codes and #1 cylinder,the App read all those other codes above. I have seen plugs and packs fix most peoples issues but i have swapped COP 1 multiple times, even the spark plug, and had mechanics check it all. I was now told my torque converter from another garage but would it cause a Misfire and cat code? Could it be full injectors, crankshaft position sensor? I am at a total loss anymore on this truck and have no idea where to go from here, I appreciate any help and give Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve00
Hello all here, First time posting but I have used these forums a lot lately for help. I hope I am posting in the correct place and all. I have a 2005 F150 5.4 Automatic 4x4 with 134k miles, Throwing a misfire on cylinder #1(P0301), misfire on start up first 1000 revs (P0316), system cat efficiency below threshold on bank 1 and 2 (P0420 &P0430),and a Cylinder head over temp (P1285) it has idle shakes (u can just feel it slightly bouncing around i guess would explain it?), around 40-50mph (most common time it happens) it will shake violently under load and shift itself out of it or i can let off the gas and stop it, Then at around 70-75mph my Cel will flash in 1 second intervals and the engine seems to have no power til halfway through the flashing then it feels like the engine grabs power back and runs fine til it blinks the CEL again shortly after. I read through these forums about plugs and packs so I had those changed ( all 8 each), camphaser job done (complete new parts), VCT solenoids, fuel filter, fuel pump delivery module, transmission output sensor, cylinder head temp sensor from (P01285), drivers side cam position sensor, both catalytic converters changed. It has been to two different Ford garages and all I can get is a guess at whats wrong which includes most of the parts stated above( for a price each time of course*). The Garages could only pull the misfire on cylinder 1 they said but i purchased the Torque app and i have my own scanner which only shows the cat codes and #1 cylinder,the App read all those other codes above. I have seen plugs and packs fix most peoples issues but i have swapped COP 1 multiple times, even the spark plug, and had mechanics check it all. I was now told my torque converter from another garage but would it cause a Misfire and cat code? Could it be full injectors, crankshaft position sensor? I am at a total loss anymore on this truck and have no idea where to go from here, I appreciate any help and give Thanks in advance.

Oh boy - yer throwing parts at it and replacing sensors that are actually functioning, doing their jobs and telling you things...

You sir - need to read this and address ASAP. Surprised the shop hasn't diagnosed this already - a known issue with the 2005 3V's.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf

This thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ram-07m08.html

good luck
MGD

Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM
That is what I have been saying forever but keep getting told its probably not those, its probably a broke valve spring, torque converter etc etc. Although I listed a lot of parts not all of those was for this one specific problem only, like the cam phasers i had the ticking, diesel sound and all which was diagnosed by my personal mechanic ( and me before i went to him from using this forum ). Just wanted to let everyone know everything that was in it new so they could better diagnose the issue but yes A LOT of $ that shouldn't have been spent was just thrown at this truck for a big Maybe after it was done. Just wanted some help b4 i spend another almost $300 on 8 new injectors (If im gonna do 1 I assume at 134k I should just do all 8 if they were faulty from the get go) This issue just started around 1k miles ago so im expecting more to fail soon. Good Idea or Bad?

Last edited by Steve00; 01-19-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 PM
That is what I have been saying forever but keep getting told its probably not those, its probably a broke valve spring, torque converter etc etc. Although I listed a lot of parts not all of those was for this one specific problem only, like the cam phasers i had the ticking, diesel sound and all which was diagnosed by my personal mechanic ( and me before i went to him from using this forum ). Just wanted to let everyone know everything that was in it new so they could better diagnose the issue but yes A LOT of $ that shouldn't have been spent was just thrown at this truck for a big Maybe after it was done. Just wanted some help b4 i spend another almost $300 on 8 new injectors (If im gonna do 1 I assume at 134k I should just do all 8 if they were faulty from the get go) This issue just started around 1k miles ago so im expecting more to fail soon. Good Idea or Bad?
IF it's the injectors - and yer mechanic should easily be able to confirm same very quickly - I'd change all 8.

Just so you know - if you've been running like this for ~1k miles, the extra raw fuel can damage cats, and due to cylinder wall washing and oil dilution, potentially cause damage to internals. Worst case: hydrolock - which means a new long block.

It's yer truck - I'd print off that letter and make him read it.

BTW - He had the cam covers off - was the valvetrain checked? Refer to this thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-problems.html

MGD

Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
I took it right to him after the 2nd ford garage and he was the one telling me he would also go with fuel injectors and I asked about when he had the covers off and he said everything looked totally fine to him not that long ago when he done that job. You Sir with that one paper produced what I wanted from two different Ford Garages who told me there was NO Recalls on my specific 05 truck for the odd issue i was having... Guess its time to hit RockAuto for 8 motorcrafts and begin a injector job b4 I do anything else

Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Well my injectors came and after $292 the misfire on cylinder 1 is still present with the same shaking and loss of power at interstate speeds, thats 8 new plugs, packs and injectors now?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Well my injectors came and after $292 the misfire on cylinder 1 is still present with the same shaking and loss of power at interstate speeds, thats 8 new plugs, packs and injectors now?
Post the code.

If yer certain all of the components on #1 are healthy ( you can check by moving COP & injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire code moves).

Pull the plug and see what condition it's in.

Borescope the chamber.

Re-read the link I supplied in post #4.

Test the harness and injector & COP driver in the PCM.

Not much left if it's specific to #1.

good luck

MGD

Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM
misfire on cylinder #1(P0301) what do you mean exactly by "Test the harness and injector & COP driver in the PCM"?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:38 AM
misfire on cylinder #1(P0301) what do you mean exactly by "Test the harness and injector & COP driver in the PCM"?
The PCM contains solid-state drivers that activate the COPS and the injectors, via a wiring harness and electrical connectors/pigtails.

If either a failing driver, or a harness fault or a failing connector/pigtail is present, it will cause a misfire.

Testing involves specialized equipment you likely don't have. Dealers or competent shops would.

Simply put - if it's not the components themselves, it's the mechanism delivering the appropriate signals to those components.

FWIW - IF it's the PCM drivers, it's new PCM time - not repairable.

All IMHO, of course ... I'm just the Concierge

Old 01-25-2015, 10:25 AM
well due to weather this weekend is shot now, ill try to check all i can over the next week/weekend and go from there. Thanks alot

Old 09-16-2015, 12:05 PM
Steve00,
Did you ever find out what was the issue, or issues? I am curious because your issue sounds similar to one that I am having, (2005 Expy 5.4l 3V w/ 130K).
Thanks.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm having similar issues. I have replaced the plugs and coils, had it into a dealer who basically threw his hands up and couldn't figure it out.

Quick Reply: 05 F150 misfires, shake, new user