04 5.4 3V XLT Super Crew / Barely Running

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4 3V XLT Super Crew / Barely Running

120K, New plugs around 110K, I've been listening to the phasers for years and just keeping the oil (Motorcraft 5W20 Semi Synth. and Filter) changed regularly (4k-5k). It has been running great and even pulled my camper fine until last week.

My wife called one day last week and said the truck would barely make it out of the driveway so she pulled it back in. Got home, it started up but idled rough, unsteady, would eventually go dead. Tried to rev up and it still sputtered and missed etc... and would eventually die. I cleaned the throttle body and MAF with CRC products as directed, New fuel filter and no change. Buddy came over with a pretty high end hand held scanner and the only code we could get was "Camshaft Position Sensor" so we changed them and no change. Next we changed the VCT's ( at another mechanics suggestion) and no change.

I've read a lot of threads about these rascals and I don't think I've seen the first one where someone has successfully and completely fixed this engine. Even after replacing all timing chain and phaser components. I'm not willing to tow it to a dealership and give them an open checkbook only to find they can only offer to replace the engine. I can do that!

My plan of action will be to tear into it and see what I find starting with the timing components and then heads etc...

Any suggestions or hints on what to look for will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Did you check the FPDM for corrosion?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Old 12-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel injectors? Coils? Spark plugs (I know not that old but at least look at them and see if they seem burned, gummy, etc).

Old 12-06-2014, 11:36 PM
If your going for tear down some times if you pull left/drivers side valve cover you can generally see that left side tensioner which is usually the one that blows out in my experience at ford but when it comes to the cams being scored it's usually the right side but it's not much to pull them both. Does it rattle pretty hard? If so tear it down I would say if it rattles

Old 12-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:31 PM
I finally rounded up the parts and the nerve to tackle my 04 3V! Initial findings are the passenger side timing chain guide is broken and in pieces. There is a rather large piece of it in the oil pickup. I'm thinking this is likely when things began to go haywire. Thankfully, we were at home when it began acting up and only ran it a little trouble shooting after that.

The head side cam journals look very good. One camshaft bearing cap (#2 driver side) has some minor consistent scoring across it that can be just felt with the finger nail. The others feel pretty smooth. I can see what appear to be turning marks on some cam journals but they feel very smooth. I went ahead and bought all new cam followers and lash adjusters just in case.

Although I really don't have the funds right now I am contemplating replacing the heads "while I'm at it". It seems that I find conflicting information about which cams/ heads will fit my 2004. Is the 2004 a one year only head/camshaft etc.... or will other years interchange. I've also seen the heads referred to as non-serviceable but then see others that offer re-manufactured ones.

I also need to know the best way make sure I get all the broken guide debris out of the engine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:15 PM
I decided against new heads. The camshaft journals really weren't that bad and the cams looked great.
I blew the oil passages out as good as I could with the heads still on it. Made sure there were no pieces of timing chain guide in the VCT's, replaced Phasers, Timing Chains, Guides, Tensioners, Crank Sprocket, Cam Followers, Lash Adjusters, Oil Pump and Coolant Pump. Held my foot to the floor while cranking until the oil light when out. Fired her up and she's running smooth a silk. Drove it every day for the better part of a week and a little over three hundred miles and then hooked my travel trailer up last Thursday and pulled it the Bristol, Tennessee for the Nascar Race and back. She performed like a champ. Still has that good appetite for gasoline though! I have put a little over 1100 miles on her since wrapping up the repairs and so far so good.

Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 3V XLT Super Crew / Barely Running