Maybe time for valve job??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe time for valve job??

Hello all, been noticing some noise coming from my engine lately.

2004 F150 Scab
160K miles
5.4L
Gryphon power programmer running their custom 87 performance tune

Ive noticed at around 3000 RPMs I get a "rattling" sound while under a load, such as getting on the freeway. Its not quite like a pinging sound but more of a mechanical sound. My guess is the valves need to be adjusted. Ive adjusted the timing on the tune by +.25* and by -.25* and it makes no difference (trying to rule out pinging). Is there anything I can check to verify this or other things to consider? I don't get the same sound if I'm in neutral and spin up to 3000 RPMs.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Try a couple tanks of high octane fuel to rule out ping - in fact, try the stock tune too.

Valves are nonadjustable, and if it were the cam phasers it would be rattling like a diesel at idle and low rpm's.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I had a similar sound over 2k rpms when I first got my gryphon 4 years ago. Soon after I found out the was predetonation, my custom tune journey ended. Canned only for me unless its done in person. Definitely take GLC's very wise advise to try the stock tune. I did that on mind and it went away right away.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 PM
glc
No need to ditch the custom tune if that's what is causing it - just get the tune fixed.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM
I'll give the stock tune a try and see if it still does it. I just filled up with 87 so I will have to wait to try different fuel. If it seems to be the time I'll get with PHP to figure that out. Thanks guys.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:59 PM
I put the truck back to the stock tune and tried again. Now I get the same noise at around 3500-4000 RPM but it is definitely not as loud or prominent. I'm also not showing any codes from the computer.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM
glc
Now you need to try high octane fuel. You may have combustion chamber deposits, throw some Techron in the gas or get a BG or Motorvac job.

How many miles on the spark plugs? If 60k or more, change them.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I'll try some techron since I have a full tank. I don't know how many miles are on the plugs but not 60k.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Today I put in a bottle of Techron concentrate in the tank. We will see if that helps. I also had the oil changed today, I was about 1000 miles overdue. I have 158K on the engine and still run regular oil however I noticed today that the place I took it to used 5W-30. Since this problem started I have since read some of these 3v engines can be picky when not running 5w-20. Could that be an issue? Now that I just had the oil changed I hope that isn't a factor because now it has fresh oil in it. Still running the stock tune it wasn't making the rattling sound. I'm kinda confused at this point.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 PM
So I was doing some more reading and found this in the blown spark plug sticky thread:

PREVENTIVE MEASURES:

One of the easiest: things you can do is listen to your motor when it's idling , prior to blowing my plug I heard a ticking sound like a valve lifter. If you read the threads above you will read that alot. You will also read how the person heard a slight exhaust leak. This sound, is one of the spark plugs worked loose and is vibrating up and down in the threads as the piston sucks and exhausts. There is a good chance that the threads are already slightly damaged. I wouldn't torque this plug to the max spec... maybe something a little less than max.

Holy smokes I am checking that as soon as the sun is up tomorrow. I've had the plugs replaced (estimated around 130K) and went through the whole broken off in the head nightmare. I don't want to blow a plug that's for damn sure. I'll be out there at dawn with a socket and torque wrench.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dont slow down
So I was doing some more reading and found this in the blown spark plug sticky thread:

PREVENTIVE MEASURES:

One of the easiest: things you can do is listen to your motor when it's idling , prior to blowing my plug I heard a ticking sound like a valve lifter. If you read the threads above you will read that alot. You will also read how the person heard a slight exhaust leak. This sound, is one of the spark plugs worked loose and is vibrating up and down in the threads as the piston sucks and exhausts. There is a good chance that the threads are already slightly damaged. I wouldn't torque this plug to the max spec... maybe something a little less than max.

Holy smokes I am checking that as soon as the sun is up tomorrow. I've had the plugs replaced (estimated around 130K) and went through the whole broken off in the head nightmare. I don't want to blow a plug that's for damn sure. I'll be out there at dawn with a socket and torque wrench.
It's morevthan likely they're describing the issues with the 5.4 2v that was prone to do this....
But there have been some instances where improper installation when tightening plugs in the 5.4 3v have caused them to get loose but have never blown... Usually you'll smell gas/ fuel odor and possibly an exhaust leak type noise

Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
All plugs were tight, coming down to the end of my tank of 87 and will try 89 next. Still getting the rattling, thought maybe timing chains could be the noise?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 PM
glc
Don't bother with 89 - put in a tank of the highest octane fuel there is in your area - at LEAST 91, preferably higher, 93 if you can get it.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Fuel type doesn't make a difference. If anything the higher the octane the worse it seems to get.

Quick Reply: Maybe time for valve job??