97-03 4.6L hose from heater core to intake manifold leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97-03 4.6L hose from heater core to intake manifold leaking

2001 4.6L SOHC HPI. The hose coming out of the heater core on the pass side that goes to the front pass. side intake manifold is leaking a little and causing coolant to pool up on the manifold. It looks like it's just letting it past the clamp and its running down the tube that is apparently pressed into the manifold. I can't tell how the hose disconnects at the firewall and it looks like it could be a real PITA. Has anyone done this one before that can recall? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Finally got up under there. The two hoses coming out of the heater core have quick disconnects. I went to order the hose at O'Reilly and they offer a form fitted Gates (p/n 19199) that is just a bare hose with a note that you are supposed to reuse the factory flow restrictor and a Dorman hose that is not form fitted and has a steel crimp termination on the heater core side, but no composite QD end to mate up with the heater core outlet / inlet.

After eyeballing the Dorman, it looks like you are either supposed to somehow remove the QD end from the original hose and transfer it to the new one, but unless it is a barbed fitting, not sure how it is supposed to stay secure if it is crimped prior to the QD fitting install. It was also twice the cost of the Gates and not form fitted, so I opted for the Gates. Their hoses are among the best anyway.

The issue with the gates is obviously no crimped on steel end. This end is longer than stock however, so it looks like instead of using the QD part, you simply slide it over the steel inlet / outlet and secure with a hose clamp. The issue with that is there isn't much pipe before you hit the lip that is built-in to it as a stop for the QD fitting. At least as far as I can tell by looking at heater core pics for this model. I'm also wondering if you don't transfer the composite QD fitting from the original hose and secure it to the new one via hose clamp.

Has anyone else replaced this hose to know wtf you are supposed to do with it? I tried calling Gates and apparently they shut their phone lines down at least 15 min. before closing time.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Nevermind, apparently the Motocraft replacement (return line) has everything included and it's only $40.42.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Nope, things got more interesting after making that last post. I returned the Gates hose and went to the stealership to pickup the Motocraft hose and it was the same hose that you posted which isn't right. The schematic in the system shows that it connects to the pass side heater core inlet/outlet and that it goes to the REAR of the intake manifold. The "driver's side" hose is shaped similarly, but connects to a tube down behind the pass. side head, and they are special order and $186! The hose I needed connects to the FRONT of the intake manifold. I have a 4.6 Romeo rather than a Windsor, but the only notes on this hose state that for Windsors, the technician is supposed to fabricate one from bulk hose. We looked up older and more recent model years and they all show the same p/n which has been superseceded 3 times since 2001. I guess I'm supposed to replace the PI intake manifold along with the hose?

I went back to O'Reilly to get my Gates hose back and luckily someone pulled their head out and realized that they had the Gates QD fittings for Fords in back and I was able to get everything I needed. I didn't realize you could buy the QD fittings separately, and the dealer said they were not.

This is the correct hose before transferring the flow restrictor and QD fitting:

I'm thinking that the notes were wrong and it's Romeo models that need to be fabricated from bulk if not going the Gates route. Looks like all it would need is a 45 deg. elbow. The Dorman hose with the steel crimp on the end is just straight hose.

Quick Reply: 97-03 4.6L hose from heater core to intake manifold leaking