The old grinding starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old grinding starter problem

Hi all,

2000 Expy 5.4. I'm getting the occasional starter grinding on start up more and more lately. I tried a new starter a while back and just like all of the forums said, it didn't help. The teeth on the flywheel look good as far as I can see.

I've been scouring all of the forums and it seems that nobody has solved this problem for sure.

Has anybody tried throwing one of those PowerMaster high torque starters at the problem? The billet aluminum high torque model is pricey at $295 but I would pay it if I knew it would work.

I welcome any opinions or input.

Thanks

Gary

Old 11-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience with FORD starters going back along time is they are excellent. Rarely fail. Usually the real problem is something else. If your sure the flywheel teeth are good I'd throw a good re-manufactured ford starter at it. Be sure them teeth are ALL good because it sounds like a flywheel problem.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Well the flex plate was definitely bad. 4 sections at 90 degree spacing had teeth that were half gone. No teeth were completely gone but most had half of the tooth ground away.

Turns out that my stater was also a problem although it looked and seemed to work fine on the bench. Replaced it with a Motorcraft reman and now it cranks every time.

Upon close inspection the gear on the old starter was cut just a little different then the motorcraft. I'm assuming this effects the engagement. The moral of that story is a motorcraft reman is better than a new chinese starter and well worth the $50.oo more.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Should have posted this a while back.

Well the flex plate was definitely bad. 4 sections at 90 degree spacing had teeth that were half gone. No teeth were completely gone but most had half of the tooth ground away.

Turns out that my stater was also a problem although it looked and seemed to work fine. Replaced it with a Motorcraft reman and now it cranks every time.

Upon close inspection the gear on the old starter was cut just a little different then the motorcraft. I'm assuming this effects the engagement. The moral of that story is a motorcraft reman is better than a new chinese starter and well worth the $50.oo more.

Quick Reply: The old grinding starter problem