what to check before replacing 5.4 fuel pump?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to check before replacing 5.4 fuel pump?

My 2001 5.4 gave me a crank but no start problem over the weekend.
Fuel pump was not kicking on, but then after several ignition toggles it did kick on. I swapped out the fuel pump relay (301), and verified that my PATS wasn't going bonkers.
Is there anything else that I should look at prior to changing the pump?
Thanks

Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge....normal is 32-45 running around 30 at idle

Also check the fuel filter

I would also back probe the fuel pump wiring when it won't run the pump. You may be getting power but no ground. There is also a connector by the air box which the fuel pump wiring goes through may want to check that connector too. Look for the bigger wires that feed the pump. Yellow or pink can't remember. Also back probe the relay and see if the PCM is giving you a good ground at the relay. The relay should have 1 constant power. 1 keyed power. 1 ground from the PCM and the load.

Also look at the odometer after the first cycle of the key when it doesn't start....if there's s bunch of dashes then it's possibly a PATS issue

Last edited by 88racing; 11-11-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
88, he says the pump doesn't always run when the key is turned - if it ain't running there won't be any fuel pressure.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ground wire.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
88, he says the pump doesn't always run when the key is turned - if it ain't running there won't be any fuel pressure.
He cycled the key multiple times then it worked....plus he was looking for suggestions

Plus it never hurts to rule out fuel pressure or the pump check valve....imo

Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK....so I live with this for the past month....the truck almost always started first turn of the key. The couple of times it did not, I just cycled the key a couple of times until I heard the fuel pump, and then it fired right up.
That was until this past weekend, when it sat for 2 days while I cycled the key hundreds of times, pounded on the tank with a rubber mallet, switched out the PCM and fuel pump relay, and checked the fuel pump shutoff under the pass. side kick panel. Nothing worked, and then finally Monday after work it fired up.

Here's the kicker - sprayed down the TB with starter fluid while fuel pump wasn't pumping....and it still didn't start. What would cause both the fuel pump and I assume the ignition coil not to fire? I'm stumped.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a bad fuel pump. They usually won't start with just ether, they need fuel with it to fire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what to check before replacing 5.4 fuel pump?