Melted Spark Plug on #3

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melted Spark Plug on #3

Hey guys I am completely lost. I am sure this has already been talked about I would greatly appreciate it if someone could lend me some advice or redirect me.

I have a 2007 screw 4x4 with 175,000 miles. It blew a plug on #3 at 140,000 miles I tapped it and put a new plug and coil pack in truck ran like a scaled ape. The other day I was driving back to Houston from Dallas. I got half way home and started to feel a bad vibration on hills and acceleration.

I got home and checked everything I didn’t have any code showing up on my computer or on my edge. Something told me to check the plugs. I pulled them all and found that number 3 started to melt. I replaced plug and now have a more prominent vibration during idle.

I am figuring I have a valve issue. I have not done a compression test on it since it is still sitting in my garage. I am afraid to drive it to the shop to have them look at it.

I guess the main question is will it be ok to drive to shop and or would it be easier to trade it in. This truck has been a work horse and I would really hate to see it go. However the money tree didn’t get enough fertilizer this year.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again ford family and KCCO!

Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Which engine?

Old 11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you heilicoil that blow out? if you did thats your problem.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
A melted plug is an indicator of a cylinder running too lean. Since you have an Edge, take a look at the fuel trims. Plug #3 should be off from the others. It could be a bad injector, dirty injector, a loose plug, bad fuel delivery, bad driver signal to the injector from the pcm.
Unless you just can't handle a new truck payment, now is the time to pick up a great deal on a 2014. You've gotten a lot of miles out of the one you have now and there isn't going to be many more trouble free miles. Now is the time if you can stand the payment.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A melted plug can also be a symptom of an unseated (not fully seated) plug attributable to a poor helicoil install. This alters the effective heat range.

You also can't extract LTFT or STFT per cylinder PIDS with an Edge.

OP - again - which engine? Have not seen to many folks retap and HC an early deep-well 3V.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-08-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 AM
I have a 4.6l.

I also run the edge tuner. When I pulled the plug the coil came out with it. I changed the coil pack and replaced the plug with a new coil as well. It doesn't vibrate as bad however it is still there. I still have plenty of power when it is in drive and it does not shake when I am moving.

If I can avoid a new truck payment I would totally love it. However I am ready to dip off into a new truck if I absolutely have to.

Again thanks to you all in advance.

Jay

Old 11-09-2014, 11:31 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Helicoils DO NOT WORK. You need a Timesert - possibly even a Bigsert.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 AM
I have not used a Helicoil on it. I am very familiar with them I have used it on my four-wheeler in the past. The first time I replaced it on the truck with a Timesert as well as the second time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melted Spark Plug on #3