Engine "clicking" noise with Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine "clicking" noise with Video

Hey guys,

Hoping you could me diagnose this one. Noise appears to be coming from the #5 cylinder at the rocker cover. Any ideas what you think it is? Noise seems to be getting louder over time so I figured now is the time to fix it.

Truck is a 2007 5.4

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cam follower on the way out, or related components?

Some info in this thread - with graphic pics of worst-case....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-problems.html

Also - make sure the #5 plug isn't loose. In fact, extract the plug for a looksee ... (if you need to resort to a borescope you'd need to do that anyway ).

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Also - make sure the #5 plug isn't loose. In fact, extract the plug for a looksee ... (if you need to resort to a borescope you'd need to do that anyway ).
Thank-you MGDfan! This was it! So loose I could loosen it by hand.

SO to make a short story long here was the process of everything. I had a Cylinder #8 misfire so I was going to change the coil + plug for that cylinder and wanted to see if I could address this problem as well. After doing cylinder #8 I realized these plugs weren't as difficult to remove as the TSB for them had said (some had been replaced in the past), and since I just got over 100,000 miles I decided to do them all.

So I changed all the plugs. When I got to the #5 cylinder, which was the area where the loud clicking noise was coming from, this plug was really loose. Upon inspection it looked worn more than the other plugs (much larger gap, some fouling or carbon buildup). I changed this plug and continued down numbers 4-1.

After changing all plugs, the dreaded #4 cylinder came up with a mis-fire. You know, the most difficult one to reach! So I figured there was no way it could be the plug since I bought the Motocraft plugs new from the shop. So I guessed that I must have disturbed the coil. Went back to Autozone and got a new coil. Put it on #4. Still mis-firing. Now I was getting worried that it could be something more complicated than a plug or coil. So I swapped #2 and #4. Now #2 was mis-firing. So at least I knew it was either a coil or plug. So finally I swapped the #2 coil with the #1 coil and #2 was still getting a mis-fire. Problem solved, it was the spark plug.

Now all 8 cylinders are firing And the loud ticking noise is gone!

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by M125X
Thank-you MGDfan! This was it! So loose I could loosen it by hand.

SO to make a short story long here was the process of everything. I had a Cylinder #8 misfire so I was going to change the coil + plug for that cylinder and wanted to see if I could address this problem as well. After doing cylinder #8 I realized these plugs weren't as difficult to remove as the TSB for them had said (some had been replaced in the past), and since I just got over 100,000 miles I decided to do them all.

So I changed all the plugs. When I got to the #5 cylinder, which was the area where the loud clicking noise was coming from, this plug was really loose. Upon inspection it looked worn more than the other plugs (much larger gap, some fouling or carbon buildup). I changed this plug and continued down numbers 4-1.

After changing all plugs, the dreaded #4 cylinder came up with a mis-fire. You know, the most difficult one to reach! So I figured there was no way it could be the plug since I bought the Motocraft plugs new from the shop. So I guessed that I must have disturbed the coil. Went back to Autozone and got a new coil. Put it on #4. Still mis-firing. Now I was getting worried that it could be something more complicated than a plug or coil. So I swapped #2 and #4. Now #2 was mis-firing. So at least I knew it was either a coil or plug. So finally I swapped the #2 coil with the #1 coil and #2 was still getting a mis-fire. Problem solved, it was the spark plug.

Now all 8 cylinders are firing And the loud ticking noise is gone!

Thanks again!
Outstanding! That's quite a saga!

Thrilled you got it addressed, and thanks fer the thread closure - much appreciated!

Cheers & Regards;
MGD

Quick Reply: Engine "clicking" noise with Video