Leaking Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Head Gasket

So about a week ago I noticed that I was leaking cool and in my 2005 F-150 4.6 V8. When I looked under the truck I felt sick to my stomach because it looked as though it was leaking on the back of the block, right where the head connects. I feared that it was a head gasket. I did some research and read everything from leaking intake manifold gaskets, heater hose leaks, and heater core leaks. Well my worst fear was realized this morning when I had a mechanic at work look at it and he seems to think its a leaking head gasket. Great... So.... When I looked on alldata the first thing it says under head removal is to remove the engine from the vehicle. Even better.... So here's my question. Does anyone know if it's possible to pull the head and change the gasket without pulling the engine? I suppose if I pull the head I might as well change the plugs just in case one snaps off like I've heard nightmare stories about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm not a mechanic but im a reasonably intelligent mechanically competent guy who's really good at following directions. Thanks...

Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
The 4.6 is NOT subject to the broken spark plug issue. That's only the 04-08 5.4 3 valve engines.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Well that's one issue off my mind. Thanks glc...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM
To answer your question...Yes it is possible to remove the head and replace the gasket without having to remove the engine. I have a 4.6L aswell and the head was removed with the engine still in the truck. It just makes everything a lot more difficult.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks jvenecia94. I assumed the limited amount of space was going to be my biggest problem. I appreciate the response...

Old 10-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes just remove the fan and fan shroud and you can crawl right up in there. I'm 6' 2" 210 lbs and I had enough room...Did both of my head gaskets and new heads and new exhaust manifolds in about 17-18 hrs by myself...in no heat and 15 deg weather...lol There are guys a lot faster but this was just my experience.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 10-24-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just replaced the head gaskets on my 97 4.6 and stood in the same place, I also removed the radiator. I understand new head bolts are recommended, but on another forum I made the mistake of telling them I reused my old head bolts and they acted like I had torn a hole in the universe, LOL.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Reusing head bolts is just plain dumb.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbob
Reusing head bolts is just plain dumb.
Absolutely wrong. I know for a fact is it not. This is one of those topics that is just a waste of time trying to explain so I will carry on and reuse headbolts and pocket the savings. I personally would prefer to reuse headbolts over new bolts but thats just me. Been through this discussion many times here. It just blows my mind how the facts can be twisted by people who have no clue and yes I know know what it says in the manual it is still not true.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Absolutely wrong. I know for a fact is it not. This is one of those topics that is just a waste of time trying to explain so I will carry on and reuse headbolts and pocket the savings. I personally would prefer to reuse headbolts over new bolts but thats just me. Been through this discussion many times here. It just blows my mind how the facts can be twisted by people who have no clue and yes I know know what it says in the manual it is still not true.
Same here DT. Even with a new build, I think I'd break the bolts in first.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Wink

Exactly jbrew. There are many head gasket failures due to not prestretching the NEW head bolts than you will ever see reusing the original head bolts. The old bolts are prestretched and thats just the way I like them. Yes I have installed thousands of new head bolts but it is important that you prestretch them or they can lose clamp load. No company is going to tell you to reuse the bolts for two reasons. One is liability because they have no control over the old bolts the other is $$. They RECOMMEND you use new bolts but they don't tell you you HAVE to use new ones. Not to jump down your throat fastbob but I know for a fact they can be reused with no ill effects. But just to cover my *** always use new bolts....get it...

Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
The only time you should not reuse bolts, other than if there's obvious damage, is if they are "torque to yield" bolts.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:22 AM

Very tactful response glc as I know you are knowledgable and very aware Modular head bolts are torque to yield. Should not or must not and why? Remember it is "recommended" not carved in stone and I stand by my statement. "Recommended" leaves some wiggle room don't ya think..These bolts are not exspensive really so by all means buy a new set, however it just bothers me when I know better. Two applications of these bolts is no where near the end of life for these bolts. I have seen the data I helped supply it... just sayin.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 10-30-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking Head Gasket