newer truck...cross my fingers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newer truck...cross my fingers

Time has come to let the old one rest a bit.
I was recently rear ended in the 99 and they totaled it because of the value. But, I bought it back with just a dented tail gate and broken tail light. Good as new.. not really. It's been getting old and needed some down time for some tlc. Now that it has a salvaged it was time for something a little newer. Sometime I never thought Id do but the price was right so I jumped on it.
Picked up an 07 with a 5.4.. 3:55's with 89k on the clock. Nothing special, just newer to me. I'm well aware of the issues they have. Cam phasers are quiet as can be for the moment and I'm going to tackle the plug change soon. Hopefully with good results. It's dressed with a motorcraft filter, all the fluids looked great, shifts like new, doesnt have or never has had a tow package so it does not seem it was ever ran hard.
Drives nice...

Once the maintenance issues are brought up to date I have some plans for it. Nothing huge, Just some ptm parts, exhaust, rims and some decent A/T tires. Maybe some seat covers.

I'll be poking my head around the 04-08 section for a while. Wish me luck
Name:  20141018_121849_zpsfa2dad5e.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  57.1 KB
Name:  20141018_123454_zps00430fe0.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  57.7 KB
The damage to the 99
Name:  20141020_161355_zpse90cfbbf.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  65.0 KB

Old 10-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
So if hit mine with a softball in the tailgate, they would total out?

Maybe I can get some payback for all the cash insurance has cost me for nothing lol. I swear those guys are crooks.

Then yea, just buy it back.

Nice truck Toyz! Now you need a bigger driveway lol.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the looks of the 04+ once almost bought a 07, I've driven them and was not really impressed as far as how the compared to my 99 power wise. They say the 3v 5.4 has about 50 more HP then the 2v but you would think they actually have less just by driving them. I'll have my 99 until I die. It's in such good shape and I baby it to no end.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the new addition and the salvation of your '99.

Originally Posted by jethat
I like the looks of the 04+ once almost bought a 07, I've driven them and was not really impressed as far as how the compared to my 99 power wise. They say the 3v 5.4 has about 50 more HP then the 2v but you would think they actually have less just by driving them. I'll have my 99 until I die. It's in such good shape and I baby it to no end.
If you ever considered a newer truck just jump right to 2011. Having had two of the '04/'08 models and a good bit of experience with the '97-'03s, the '04/'08s are simply more bulky and over weight but safer because of it, and probably get worse MPG than the 700lb lighter '97/'03 body. Plus the round curves are nice of that body, however I like the square out of the newer trucks, but in 2009 Ford did it properly. I hate the lousy door curvature and fender curves of my 2007. Overall, the Tritons are weak in excitement. The EB and Coyote are tornatos of power and the Tritons are merely a gust of wind. Good towers, but not aggressive.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
So if hit mine with a softball in the tailgate, they would total out?
It's odd how it works. They shop the truck around to salvage companies with the current damage. Whoever is the highest bidder is what determines the "salvage price" In my case, $1,195 was the highest bidder. The damage to the truck was $2,200. That is when they considered it an economic loss. So it was salvaged. I had to fight with them and do some due diligence to find the value of my truck. In the end they paid me $5900. The buy back was the salvage price. So I bought it back for 1,195 and they cut the remainder check for 4700 and a check for my PIP... being i was rear ended..

Originally Posted by jbrew
Maybe I can get some payback for all the cash insurance has cost me for nothing lol. I swear those guys are crooks.

Then yea, just buy it back.

Nice truck Toyz! Now you need a bigger driveway lol.
Working on that! Trying to get out of these cramped up town homes and into a piece of land. The plan is to build, maybe next year.

Originally Posted by jethat
Absolutely agree. I still drive the 99 every few days and I love the throttle response and tq of the 99 compared to the newer 3v. The 07 pulls a little harder around 3500 rpms and carries it well but off the line is a turd. The 99 just feels more alive all around than the 07.

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Congrats on the new addition and the salvation of your '99.

If you ever considered a newer truck just jump right to 2011. Having had two of the '04/'08 models and a good bit of experience with the '97-'03s, the '04/'08s are simply more bulky and over weight but safer because of it, and probably get worse MPG than the 700lb lighter '97/'03 body. Plus the round curves are nice of that body, however I like the square out of the newer trucks, but in 2009 Ford did it properly. I hate the lousy door curvature and fender curves of my 2007. Overall, the Tritons are weak in excitement. The EB and Coyote are tornatos of power and the Tritons are merely a gust of wind. Good towers, but not aggressive.

I swore not to buy a 04-08 3v but the price was right and it was in great shape. Hoping it doesnt disappoint. Started a new business this year thats put a pinch on my wallet. Wasn't quite in the position to pick up a bigger payment on a newer 09+ but when the time comes Ill look forward to it. I havent had a auto loan in over 9 years. Ive driven the new 5.0 and would buy one in a heart beat. Just not fond of the price. Can't seem to justify 40k for a half ton truck

Already having issues with the brakes. Same down hill gravel road ive driven 20 different cars down for the last 20 years with no issues. First trip down it with this truck and "over heated" the brakes. Pedal went soft and the brakes burnt up. Plenty of pad left on them but they got reaaal hot. Blistered the paint on the calipers. Not happy about that with hunting season just 2 weeks ago.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyz
I still drive the 99 every few days and I love the throttle response and tq of the 99 compared to the newer 3v. The 07 pulls a little harder around 3500 rpms and carries it well but off the line is a turd. The 99 just feels more alive all around than the 07.
You can thank the electronic throttle for that. Get a programmer and some tunes!

Quick Reply: newer truck...cross my fingers