engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine swap questions

I am replacing a 97 5.4 w a 99 model. Both trucks are lariat 4x4 5,4l . Question,I see the coolant lines are different. The remote oil filter/cooler has 2 coolant connections coming from bottom radiator hose on the 97. I see the 99 engine does not have coolant connections here and I believe it has different connections on the intake. What should I do to make this swap work ? Exchange remote oil filter connections or go with the newer one and does it have different coolant routing on the top side ? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated ! Also the 99 engine has the harness still attached along w all sensors and accessories, can I leave it attached and just plug it in and go ? Are there any more differences in model years that I need to make adjustments for ? Thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you find your answers yet?

Well, I can help some. On the intake, it shouldn't matter which TB and elbow you use. Just use the same vac harness (97 or 99) that goes with which ever elbow you go with. Make sure the throttle pull is the same. I've heard the 97 may be a bottom pull and the 99 may be a top pull. I haven't confirmed that either way, but you will be able to.

On the remote set up, I'm not sure. I know someone that has done the conversion tho. I'd stick w/the remote set up if I could. Sounds like it has a different type cooler.

97/98 Remote, -

99, -

Another problem you going to come across. The 97 has an ECT sensor. The 99 does not. You going to have to make one. You can do this with Brass fittings and intergrate into a coolant line. Or, -

See if the 99 upper intake manifold has an empty bung/boss right in front (crossover). I believe the 99's do. Anyway, if so you can use that for the ECT sensor.

Hope that helps a little. Maybe others will chime in. Good Luck!

Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply jbrew,I have gone with the 97 oil cooler and I swapped the coolant line under the intake and throttle body to the 97 and put the 97 ect sensor on 99 intake because the 99 had alot more coolant line routing it split at the line from under intake and in front of intake and ran to throttle body so I eliminated that and went w the 97. Do you know anything about the tuning valve in the lower intake of 97 ? Do I need to keep that and will lower intakes swap out ? I don't wanna check engine light situation if i can avoid it ! Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Good question, the 99 doesn't have one ? I'd use the 97's if that's the case. otherwise you take the chance of loosing your low end torque. The lower intake ports should be the same 97/99. The 97 computer is programmed for the 97, - so if you can, use it. I could be wrong, -the 99's have more flow of course, but I don't think that factors in here.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't know alot about the engines but i think i read that only the 97 has this in the lower intake. I see you have a 98,does your truck have it ? i'll see if the lower portions interchange on 97 and 99 intakes shortly and just swap it over if they do since my computer is expecting to see it. Should the extra 30 HP of the p i engine show up instantly or would my pcm need tuning to get all the benefits ? My understanding is that the heads make the additional 30 HP so i'm hoping to see it without tuning. Thanks again

Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4mulastv
I don't know alot about the engines but i think i read that only the 97 has this in the lower intake. I see you have a 98,does your truck have it ? i'll see if the lower portions interchange on 97 and 99 intakes shortly and just swap it over if they do since my computer is expecting to see it. Should the extra 30 HP of the p i engine show up instantly or would my pcm need tuning to get all the benefits ? My understanding is that the heads make the additional 30 HP so i'm hoping to see it without tuning. Thanks again
Yea, the 98 is the same as your 97.

30 HP+ if you throw PI heads and intake on 97/98 block and pistons.

Your looking at 20-25 more ponies, - same bump w/torque.

Yea, you could tune it to get it perfect. I'd see how it runs first,- check the mileage and plugs after awhile. That will give yuh a good idea if you need tuning or not.

Personally, I wouldn't tune unless I had a 3" intake w/Gotts and LT Headers. It would be worth the expense at that point.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM
lower intake compatibility questions

I have looked at both lower intakes and they are a little different if I cut alignment tab off the gasket it lines up with all bolt holes and covers the mating areas for the most part. Looks like it would seal. Has anyone had any experience with this b4 ? Putting a 99 5.4 in a 97 and trying to use 97 lower intake. Is this possible or if I don't have the sensor off the 97 in place and plugged in, am I gonna get a check engine light situation ?

Quick Reply: engine swap questions