5.4L cost to fix the "knocking"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L cost to fix the "knocking"

I have an 05 5.4L four wheel drive that I take very good care of but keeps giving me trouble. I'm on my second trany that just went after only 20k miles but out of warranty because I had unlimited miles but two years and it's been three, anyhow, I have to fix that, it is what it is, so I figured lets do it all. I am going with a bunch of interior mods, color changes, stereo system, on the outside new lift kit, tires, lighting, grill, ect. my question is this engine sounds horrible. It taps bad. I was told it is the timing chain tensioner which to fix is a big job but given the scope of what I intend to do should be addressed. Is that a fair assessment? Are there other things that I should consider as being wrong or that could be wrong? Or on paper does that sound right? I know its tough to say I am just looking to get a couple of opinions and an idea of what these jobs cost. Thanks in advance for any input.

Jeremy

Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't have personal experience on 3V mod motors. But, look into cam phaser issues with the 3V motors. It's probably that some of your noise will have to do with them. It's so common that there are full timing kit's all over eBay. The Ford phasers are pretty price. Dorman has made them in the aftermarket for nearly half the price. I, myself, would go for the Ford parts however.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM
thanks banshee, I've been all over the web and you tube it's almost laughable how many difference of opinions there are in this regard. I am running low on funds and don't want to have my whole budget blown while the mechanic screws around guessing wrong time and time again. If that makes sense? anyhow thanks I'm sure we'll figure it out at some point.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please explain this knocking.
I had the cam phaser problem, so I've seen it. It runs good, drives good, after a random amount of time you'll stop at a stopsign or light and idle drops way low and it's bucking and kicking, sounds like a diesel. Stab the throttle and it clears up until it drops down to idle again, then usually it's right back to diesel again... but sometimes it clears up, or at least mine did.
If that's what you're seeing/feeling/hearing... it's probably cam phasers.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:01 PM
hey slo, my engine doesn't do the bucking or any rough idle but the sound is just like a "Big Rig" I do every now and then when I am driving, get a fail safe message on my screen and the engine shuts off. That happens when I am actually driving not at idle and it starts right back up. As much as I don't want to I think I am going to fix both the phasers and chain tensioner and just be done with it I'll feel better about replacing the whole mess than doing one of them and have the other go in a month which is what would happen given my luck the more I look into it they both give people problems. thanks for the input and hopefully this will be it for the big jobs and I can get back to just gas and oil changes

Old 10-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like MGDfan has given you a lot to read on the subject.
Sorry if that was a bit confusing. The bucking and kicking were only at idle, perhaps while slowing down too? 2 years had fogged my memory. I recall thinking that I was low on gas or possibly had water in the fuel.
Before you do any repair, I'd put an accurate oil pressure tester on it. The long story short of my '06 5.4 was 1) replace both cam phasers then 2) replace the engine. The way it was explained to me, the phasers work off oil pressure, so if your ENGINE doesn't make enough oil pressure the phasers will not work correctly. I've always wondered if a simple oil change to something just a TAD thicker would give it just enough of a boost to keep the phasers working correctly for another 100k or 200k miles.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks guy's that took a good six pack I am almost considering trying this project myself I have a lot of experience working on motorcycles and cars although I haven't really done too much with the car thing in probably 20 years just cause I can't stand it but i'm thinking with all of the tutorials and even just literature on this stuff I may be ok and then I would have the extra money to do it all and be done with it. between the tranny and lift and tires I'll be giving the shop enough work to stay in their good graces. I do appreciate all the links and responses from everyone and it has given me the confidence that I need to just try it myself. The truck really just sits so I don't have to have it done for tomorrow or anything like that, if it takes a few days that's ok. Once again thank you to everyone for all your help

take care,
Jeremy

Quick Reply: 5.4L cost to fix the "knocking"