What makes the mod motor so hard to build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes the mod motor so hard to build?

Ever since I had a Lightning new back in '02 I always read about how hard mod motors are to build. What's the reason for that? If it just clearances and strict specs or things that must go together different than say a small block ford or chevy for instance.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:06 AM
Overhead cams dude... That and chevy hasn't changed their design ever so parts are cheaper on those.

Check out MMR or MHS, they can be built very powerful but parts are more expensive cause of the more complicated engine

Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Well, OHC engines have been around quite a long time. There is much more to it. Something about the mod motors makes them a lot harder to build correctly than other engines. I'm not sure if there is a lot of machining and matching involved with the cracked rods and all or if it's a tighter clearance thing or what.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think by now they is plenty of experience building them and at this point the option of finding low miles used is becoming impossible. I think the general idea has been why build when you can get low miles used for less. 2v 5.4 Motors with around 50k are getting impossible to find. Overhauling is going to have to be the logical option from here on out.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
it's the fact that people are lazy, too lazy to learn a different platform

I honestly feel it's easier and faster to assemble a sohc motor than a pushrod motor

the only issues I've encountered was machine shops using brand new blocks for high power builds or failing to use torque plates...

Quick Reply: What makes the mod motor so hard to build?