'03 5.4 cylinder head looks fried

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the plugs recently on it so I'm going to reuse the Motorcraft plugs that were in the other engine for now I think. Replacing the coils would be an expensive proposition at $45 each. They're working good and I'll have a complete set of spare OEM used coils for WHEN a coil fails down the road.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you ever need new coils, this offbrand CAN be trusted:

http://www.araparts.com/car-care/ign...FWqCMgodciUAZw

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Boy this has gotten interesting. I decided to replace all of the timing chain guides and tensioners with OEM Ford parts. I removed the valve covers and was glad to see that everything looks like it had been getting plenty of oil and looked good to go. I then pulled the front cover. This is where things got interesting. I first saw the shiny spots on the passenger side of the front cover where it looked like the chain had been slapping the cover which was wearing it down in some spots. I looked at the passenger side chain guide and it was in place like it was supposed to be, unlike the original engine. I then touched it and it was broken from the top bolts and just clanking around there. WTF! I'm glad I am replacing the guides and tensioners as this engine would have failed exactly like the first. One problem with this engine is that there is a Fram filter hanging off the side. I bet that is a big cause of this sort of stuff happening with the oil draining back. This engine will only see the FL-820S from now on. With the chains slapping the front cover I'm afraid there may be some wear in the chains themselves so I may just replace those as well. I'm also going to pull the pan when I get it lifted back up and check/clean an debris from the pan and oil pickup. If I find much debris I may replace the oil cooler as well. I want this engine to go a while after this. I think I caught it just in time and replacing these parts should fix it all back up.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
If you ever need new coils, this offbrand CAN be trusted:

http://www.araparts.com/car-care/ign...FWqCMgodciUAZw
How do you know they can be trusted? Thats mighty cheap!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
OEM coils for me ONLY. As far as in concerned there are no other brands for that sort of thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The owner has a presence on this forum and will take care of any issues. They aren't any cheaper than the ones Global and Alanis sell.

Quick Reply: '03 5.4 cylinder head looks fried