taking my truck out of storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking my truck out of storage

my truck has been in storage for the past 9 months (non climate controlled garage). I've gotten engines back up and running after sitting for a long time before so im familiar with alot of the basics like changing the spark plugs, engine oil, fuel filter, cranking the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure before starting, etc. but my question is would you guys put a small amount of something like Marvel Mystery Oil or similar down into the spark plug holes for an engine thats only been sitting for 9 months? would rather play it safe but i just wanted your opinions. like i said I'm pretty familiar with the basics on getting my truck ready for the raod again but do you guys have any other tips you wanna share? Especially related to the 04-08 4.6l. thanks

Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll be fine without that mystery snake oil. Be good to your truck.

Your internals are within a sealed environment..They're fine.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM
yeah my only concern was the cylinder walls most likely being dry so i was skeptical about turning the engine over in those conditions. and the humidity down where im at

Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 AM
bump. any other suggestions?

Last edited by rzalpine34; 09-24-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Put a wrench 🔧 on the crank and give it a few turns. Take a while to lube the whole motor that way. You should be fine it'll build oil pressure within seconds and lube before the motor gets hot enough to melt bearings. I have a motor sitting on a stand with just the oil pan and valve cover removed since April and its still pretty moist.as for fuel side of it unless you removed the fuel filter or injectors you fuel pressure should be okay so as soon as the motor cranks its shooting fuel in the cylinder.but in all fairness It's your truck feel free to be extra careful if you'd like. No real tips.

Last edited by bmccull; 09-24-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't hurt to put a teaspoon or so of oil or trans fluid in each cylinder. You can crank the engine with the plugs removed and the fuel pump fuse removed for ten seconds to build oil pressure without a load on the engine. It will blow blue-white smoke for a minute or so after starting. Nine months shouldn't be bad, but it's cheap insurance.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM
alright thanks guys. also I'm due for a spark plug change anyways, would you change it after i burn up that oil in the cylinders or when I'm putting the plugs back in after cranking? I thought about it and I dont want to foul brand new plugs

Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
9 months is nothing. I would worry very little about it. If you didnt store it full fill it up with gas first thing. I always store my vehicles full when I can. I've had cars sitting for a xouple of years several times. Change the oil maybe and your good.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
9 months is nothing. I would worry very little about it. If you didnt store it full fill it up with gas first thing. I always store my vehicles full when I can. I've had cars sitting for a xouple of years several times. Change the oil maybe and your good.
stored it with a fresh tank of 93 and some stabil

Quick Reply: taking my truck out of storage