05 5.4 Expedition Started Shifting to High Gear at 15 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4 Expedition Started Shifting to High Gear at 15 MPH?

All, I have an '05 Expedition 5.4 with about 140K that has suddenly started shifting almost immediately through all gears (1st-2nd-3rd, etc.) before it hits 15 mph. This leaves the vehicle in high gear at about 800 rpm. It is then stuck in high-gear and, needless to say, won't make it up any sort of hill. When moving the gear selector from Park to Drive, the engine almost dies.

This has me thinking there is a sensor that is misbehaving. but there is no light on and no codes available. Mechanically, the transmission is operating fine, and mechanically, the engine/transmission seems to be fine. Manually selecting 1st, then 2nd works fine allowing the engine rpm to reach the power-curve and the vehicle drives as it should.

One other symptom is the break pedal feels "mushy". The combination of symptoms yelled "Vacuum", but going though the engine compartment with B-12 didn't disclose any. Another culprit may the the throttle position sensor. However, I'm a bit unsure if the data I'm getting supports that conclusion.

I broke down and purchased an Acton scanner that supports live-data and I've captured several frames of data for the following parameters:

ENG SPEED Engine RPM 749 754 1756
MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor 0.83 0.96 1.90

ABSLT TPS Throttle Position 13.7 14.1 16.5
ABS TPS B Throttle Position B 17.3 22.0 18.4
ACC POS D Accelerator Pedal Position D 18.4 22.0 18.8
* ACC POS E Accelerator Pedal Position E 29.0 32.8 29.0
ACC POS F Accelerator Pedal Position F 18.0 20.8 18.0
THROT CMD Command Throt Actuator Ctrl 3.1 5.9 6.7
REL TPS Relative Throttle Position 2 3.9 4.3

ST FTRM1 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 1.6 2.3 4.7
ST FTRM2 Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 -0.8 0.8 1.6

* LT FTRM1 Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 3.1 1.6 -0.8
* LT FTRM2 Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 -2.3 -3.9 -7.0

ST FTRM11 Fuel Trim Bank/Sensor 0 0.8 5.5
ST FTRM21 Fuel Trim Bank/Sensor 0 2.3 1.6

O2S11 O2 Voltage Bank/Sensor 0.61 0.795 0.755
O2S12 O2 Voltage Bank/Sensor 0.71 0.825 0.77
O2S21 O2 Voltage Bank/Sensor 0.065 0.5 0.75
O2S22 O2 Voltage Bank/Sensor 0.625 0.635 0.645
A jpg image with the data and an additional 3 frames of data (nicely formatted) is posted here: http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/veh/live-data.jpg I'm not sure how the data above will look in this post. (the three columns of data above look terrible - best just to look at the link)

I have also charted the O2 sensors and the Throttle Position Sensors along with the data in a .pdf. http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/ve...913-charts.pdf. From the data it looks like the sensor that generates Accelerator Pedal Position E and O2S22 (O2 Voltage Bank 2/Sensor 2) are the most likely candidates. The Accel Pedal Position E due to its 50% bias high, and the O2S22 sensor due it it being stuck at approx. 0.635 (it doesn't move much at all -- look at the graph in the .pdf)

Just looking at the data, one thing that stands out is the ACC POS E sensor which is about 50% higher than all of the other pedal position sensors. I don't know if this is a possible cause, but it looks strange. Additionally, the long term fuel trim sensors don't seem to track one another very well with the Bank 2 trim always well below the Bank 1 values. (The O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 was replaced a month ago). The MAF was also cleaned (with real MAF cleaner) and its values seem to be fluctuating like I would expect.

Before I just start replacing sensors in an educated guessing fashion, I thought I would ask the experts here. I've never seen this problem before. Something just went nuts. Prior to the O2 sensor replacement, we would get a bit of shudder in high-gear (when the engine was at low rpm and under load, e.g. going up a hill at 40 mph) The O2 sensor helped, but did not cure the shudder issue. However, simply "peddling" the throttle when it would shudder would solve the issue by dropping into a lower gear.

That's about the best explanation I can give without knowing more what to look at. If any additional data would be helpful, just let me know and I'll be glad to get it. With that, what say the experts?

Edit

There is also the probability that this is related to Ford TSB 09-20-14 describing an un-commanded torque converter clutch (TCC) apply or TCC partial apply immediately after the 1-2 shift.

This may result in the perception that the vehicle lacks power or that the transmission is up-shifting too early. Additional symptoms of uncommanded TCC apply when coming to a stop (before the 2-1 downshift is commanded), are engine stalling or lugging when engaging manual 2nd while at a stop and code P1742 may be present in continuous memory. However, the vehicle should operate normally in park, reverse, neutral and manual 1st gear.
That sounds very familiar...

S O L V E D !!

It was Ford TSB 09-20-14. Specifically in the valve-body of the transmission, you have ball-check 7 which, like other ball-checks, prevents fluid from flowing in one direction, then releases pressure allowing flow in the other. Ford has a known problem with ball-check 7 being pushed into the check-tube and getting stuck preventing the release of pressure. This causes the transmission to shift almost immediately into 3rd gear when the 1-2 shift occurs. $300 at the local transmission shop to correct the problem and service the transmission and it is good as new.

Last edited by datty; 09-20-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added Solution

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 Expedition Started Shifting to High Gear at 15 MPH?