09 5.4 whining/grinding noise at higher rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 5.4 whining/grinding noise at higher rpm

First....yes I used the search function and read through about 100 threads and couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

About a week ago I started getting a noise from the passenger side of the engine compartment when I get over 2500 rpm. It is like a combination of whine and grind. It is constant above 2500 rpm and non-existent under that. I have tried recreating it with the truck in park and it does not occur. Only happens under load. My initial thought was the alternator pulley, but not getting the noise with the truck in park throws me off.

I have 150K on it and I have not changed anything under the hood except the plugs. Original alternator, water pump, belt tensioner, etc. I am curious if you guys might have any ideas. Going to dig into it this weekend and some advice on where to look first might save me some time and effort.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

JJ

Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasontjames
First....yes I used the search function and read through about 100 threads and couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

About a week ago I started getting a noise from the passenger side of the engine compartment when I get over 2500 rpm. It is like a combination of whine and grind. It is constant above 2500 rpm and non-existent under that. I have tried recreating it with the truck in park and it does not occur. Only happens under load. My initial thought was the alternator pulley, but not getting the noise with the truck in park throws me off.

I have 150K on it and I have not changed anything under the hood except the plugs. Original alternator, water pump, belt tensioner, etc. I am curious if you guys might have any ideas. Going to dig into it this weekend and some advice on where to look first might save me some time and effort.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

JJ
the first thing I would check is your passenger side wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: 09 5.4 whining/grinding noise at higher rpm