2005 f-150 fx4 5.4 3v runs poorly! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 f-150 fx4 5.4 3v runs poorly! Help

Well, it's been discussed all over the web. I've been battling this for months. Here is some history:

It was running poorly. It seemed to idle nicely. But when accelaerating, it was just weak. As if it did not get enough fuel. Could not go past 65 mph.

I put the tester on it to seewhere it took me.

It began as multiple misfire codes and then sometimes bank 2 too lean (0174)
What was done:
1) New motorcraft Plugs
2) New Coils and Boots
3) New Fuel Filter

At first, this did not seem to fix the problem. We added some fuel injector cleaner but still nothing happened. Within a week, suddenly, the truck broke loose. It accelerated like a new truck should. Jumped from 55mph to 85-90mph, passing cars with ease. THIS is how the engine should run. BUT!!!, a few weeks went by. It was raining. While driving on the highway, it suddenly lost power during acceleration again. The same problem all over. Code was Bank 2 too lean (0174).

I read the scanner again and it seemed that Bank 2 / O2 Sensor #2 was not within proper range. I replaced this. Well, the lean code was now gone. But the truck still did not run any better. I had it completely checked for vacuum leaks. Had a mechanic remove the air breather and all parts that needed cleaning to ensure good flow of air was done including Map Sensor, PVC etc..
Still nothing. Replaced the O2 Sensor #2 on Bank 1 because it was questionable. Confirmed the fuel pump is working fine. Even replaced the fuel filter again. Still no go. This truck runs like crap. A professional mechanic claims the injectors are working as they should.

How can it have been running so poorly and suddenly one day break free and run perfect for 3 weeks and then on a rainy day, it was running fine and during acceleration it just crapped out on me again and was losing power during acceration and cannot go past 65mph? Were any of the parts I replaced the cause of this intiially? If so, why didn't the truck run properly after the repairs? It just chose to run how it should a week after initial repairs, then, it lasted 3 weeks and on a rainy day, it just goes back to it's original poor running condition.

I have seen so many reasons why the initial misfire codes and codes for bank too lean, and now we get no codes at all. The truck just does not run properly and I am not sure what to look for next. It's been looked at by a few mechanics and they are the ones who have done all the different repairs I mentioned. Even they are a little baffled. The most confusing thing.

Anyone able to add any input that could help? I am going to check on one thing in the meantime. The oil level and filter. I have heard this type of issue could be caused by improper oil and/or filter or too much oil. Strange how picky these engines are.

Quick Reply: 2005 f-150 fx4 5.4 3v runs poorly! Help