Low oil pressure very rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low oil pressure very rough idle

I have a late model 04 f150 FX4 had the motor go out last fall had a used motor put in with only 90,000 on it and it ran fine for a good month or two had my friends brother drive it from michigan out here to North Dakota the idiot drove for a while in 4 low but she still ran fine for a few weeks after he got out here.

She randomly started to stall out and have a very rough idle it wouldn't start back up I replaced the battery and now she starts up just fine but still has very rough idle took it to the dealership and they basically gave me the run around for over 2 months on wanting me to but another motor or new truck

For some reason my phone is not allowing me to upload the photo of the paperwork from the dealership all they seemed to be able to tell me was that it has low oil pressure 8-9 psi said something in the notes of having to replace long block assembly but these are the codes they gave me

P0022
P0171
P0172
P0174
P0175

If anyone can point me in the right direction on where to start looking it would be helpful I'm going to try doing this one myself since they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg just to dig into it any further!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Gotta love it when you get conflicting codes. The last four codes are saying the engine ran lean and then coded up that it ran rich on both banks. That could be most anything. The rough idle is probably from the 22 code which says the Bank 2 cam is running in a retarded position. If you've never replaced the VCT sensors, now would be a good time. You might consider changing the oil to 15w-40 Delo 400 with a Motorcraft filter. IT will clean up any debris that may be causing the low oil pressure. It won't fix a worn out engine or fix any mechanicals but if debris or sludge is the issue, it'll fix that. That's a cheap method to try before spending the bigger bucks. You need to pull completely off of the engine the PCV valve and hose. Check the valve and especially check the hose at the elbow for cracks or holes. These are a known problem child with lean codes.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks I'll start with trying all of that this weekend I'm also going to take the oil pan off and check for any metal shavings or anything really that could clog that screen!
Also after the motor has a load on it is when all of this starts to happen I let her idle for over 30 min the other day and she runs fine it's as soon as you put a load on it she wants to die and shakes horribly to the point I don't even want to bother to start it anymore! Along with the shaking is this very weird metallic humming sound the more I push the gas the louder it gets and the more it feels like she is going to die!

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure very rough idle