2010 to 2009 engine swap. Help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 to 2009 engine swap. Help! Please!

For the non-readers:
I'm trying to put a 5.4L from a 2010 2WD F150 into my 2009 4WD F150.

For the readers, I'll tell you what I know:
I have a 2009 F150 4WD (may be the source of my problem) 5.4L. The engine broke a rocker arm at 117,000 miles. Being the smart guy that I am, (may also be the source of my problems), I picked up a 2010 F150 5.4L/2WD tranny combo cheap and thought, "Hey, I'll just take the engine off and drop it in." Ive been fighting this bastard for hours. I can't seem to get the transmission mounting studs to fall in for anything. They certainly look the same. They measure the same distance to mounting bolts. Top bolts anyway, I didn't measure to the bottom bolts. They look like they are lining up. Just won't drop in. Everything seems to be fitting fine, just can't get that engine to mate to the tranny. Am I doing something stupid? Is this not going to work? Is there a work around? Maybe simple instructions would help. The only other time I did this was a mid 30's chevy. Went much easier.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most difficult part is getting the trans lined up with the engine while at the same time ensuring the torque converter studs are lined up with the flexplate. It's a two-man job ideally. One to work the hoist and shift the motor while another is underneath lining everything up.

If you try to mash the engine onto the trans without the torque converter studs being in line with the flexplate, damage to the transmission's front pump will occur.

Quick Reply: 2010 to 2009 engine swap. Help! Please!