4.6l Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.6l Engine Swap

I'm looking for some help with my truck.. I have a 97 f150 4.6l. the motor recently left me sit at almost 190xxx miles on the motor. I'm looking to drop a 4.6l crate motor back in. So here is my real question... I want to drop in an '02 or an '03 4.6l in. Since it is the same block I shouldn't have any issues bolting up I don't think. but I know that I have a Pre-PI motor in currently. The crate motor would be a PI-motor and im wondering if my computer is compatible? I already know ill need a new intake manifold since the heads are different from what I already have.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only thing you have to get is an intake. A custom tune would help it perform using your computer. It will run just fine on the stock tune though.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!! With the new intake will I need new injectors? Im not sure what parts I will and will not be able to transfer over to the new motor...

Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would look at JY's you'll need the throttle body. Pretty sure injector are the same although not positive.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Injectors are the same. As jethat said the engine will run ok with the original tune in fact my 97 has a PI Romeo 4.6 engine in it running on original ECM/Tune and it runs just fine. Good luck its a pretty straight forward swap. Use the original wire harness, coil packs, lower and upper coolant inlet and outlet (trucks have slightly larger diameter coolant inlet and outlets than cars. Basicly everything you had on the original engine can be used on the new one except the intake manifold and intake gaskets are PI as well. Get new exhaust manifolds and install them before installing the engine a lot easier in my opinion

Quick Reply: 4.6l Engine Swap