Help! What could have done this to my plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! What could have done this to my plug

Hello I had my code read it was p0301 my #1 cylinder is misfiring so naturally i took out the plug to see this..It is absolutely fried the electrode is completely disintegrated. Does anyone know what caused this? Any thoughts are welcomed. Thanks for your help.
v8 5.4
just put a new intake manifold with all new plugs and coils and wires about 3 mos ago.
for some reason i am having difficulty attaching my pic

Last edited by onlyfords4me; 08-28-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
what plugs are you using?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM
SFM
I'd say the plug came loose. Maybe it was never fully tightened.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a Botch/Bosch problem to me..

Old 08-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Sounds like a Botch/Bosch problem to me..
agreed.....aftermarket plugs suck in fords, except ngk and Denso....probably a Bosch...

Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM
thanks for your replies. and its still totally missing I think it sounds like a vaccuum leak of some sort cuz i replaced all the plugs(ngk) and the cop on #1.
Any more thoughts? any advise is very appreciated.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 PM
SFM
Did you happen to notice any stuttering or rough idle? Was there a smell of gas in the cab after the plug change? I'm still leaning towards loose plug since it was so soon after a change.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
no smell of gas yes rough idle it seems better now. It sounds like a vacuum leak or like a little air sputtering type gig. Can't pinpoint it and it's very frustrating. scared to drive don't want to ruin it more.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
agreed.....aftermarket plugs suck in fords, except ngk and Denso....probably a Bosch...
That's a broad statement. Based on my experience in many vehicles, I've had the following issues:

Bosch platinum +4: Misfire at 25,000 miles (but their O2 sensors and Icon wiper blades are awesome)

Champion platinum: Broken isolator on numerous vehicles within 20,000 miles

NGK Iridium: Low-grade random misfire immediately after plug change in a 4.6L DOHC, but ran fine in my V6 Lincoln LS

Motorcraft platinum: Low-grade misfire on one cylinder, likely a coil that was a little weak

Every one of these problems were resolved by using Autolite XP, Motorcraft fine-wire, or AC Delco plugs. For that reason, I use Autolite XP in nearly everything (including my lawn mower).

But when working on an import, I go out of my way to use Motorcraft plugs just to screw with the next guy who changes them. Most recently a Kia Sportage and Toyota 4Runner that happened to have a Motorcraft fine-wire plug available for it at the local parts store.

Not sure why the top of the line NGK plugs caused a rough idle and low-grade misfire immediately after installing them. This was my 2003 Mercury Marauder that I had bought new. But I had no issue with them in my V6 Lincoln LS or motorcycle.

Some of it is a matter of opinion and personal experience. I've had no issue with any Autolite plug. Running the cheap copper plugs in my sister's 5.0L Explorer right now and they're doing well, although I'll be changing them at 30k instead of 60-80k.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 AM

I'm not sure why anyone would run a plug less than Ford spec and be proud of it.

Meet or exceeds and it's not just opinion.

Motorcraft
Denso
NGK

That's how it's always been for tenth generation. Autolites, -not one of them meet Ford spec. Like them all you want, but you could do MUCH better. I know you could.
What you said about Motorcraft and NGK is something I haven't heard from anyone...honestly! The three mentioned most definitely do.

But hey, if they work well enough for you, I guess that works...for you. But it' right comparing them to plugs that have proven themselves for decades. Autolites may work, how good ? That's always a roll of the dice. Who wants to screw with that ??

When in doubt, go by what the engineers recommend. That would be the plug SPECIFICALLY designed and specified for these engines. - It's in the book.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-30-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Brew
Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
That's a broad statement. Based on my experience in many vehicles, I've had the following issues:

Bosch platinum +4: Misfire at 25,000 miles (but their O2 sensors and Icon wiper blades are awesome)

Champion platinum: Broken isolator on numerous vehicles within 20,000 miles

NGK Iridium: Low-grade random misfire immediately after plug change in a 4.6L DOHC, but ran fine in my V6 Lincoln LS

Motorcraft platinum: Low-grade misfire on one cylinder, likely a coil that was a little weak

Every one of these problems were resolved by using Autolite XP, Motorcraft fine-wire, or AC Delco plugs. For that reason, I use Autolite XP in nearly everything (including my lawn mower).

But when working on an import, I go out of my way to use Motorcraft plugs just to screw with the next guy who changes them. Most recently a Kia Sportage and Toyota 4Runner that happened to have a Motorcraft fine-wire plug available for it at the local parts store.

Not sure why the top of the line NGK plugs caused a rough idle and low-grade misfire immediately after installing them. This was my 2003 Mercury Marauder that I had bought new. But I had no issue with them in my V6 Lincoln LS or motorcycle.

Some of it is a matter of opinion and personal experience. I've had no issue with any Autolite plug. Running the cheap copper plugs in my sister's 5.0L Explorer right now and they're doing well, although I'll be changing them at 30k instead of 60-80k.
i was refering to my days as a mechanic....lots of customers would put in Bosch....we would take them out and put oem back in...problem solved....

now on the 4.6+5.4 97-03+04h.....Denso and ngk are a suitable aftermarket alternatives if the oem one doesn't want to be used....

but bringing this back to the real world....I'll make this statement....All sparkplugs are manufactured, where as there's any number of things while it was being built that can affect its operation in ones vehicle....

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I dropped it off at ford today for a diagnostics. seems like that cold b***h got the flu. lol
thanks everyone and I will let y'all know.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm not sure why anyone would run a plug less than Ford spec and be proud of it.

Meet or exceeds and it's not just opinion.

Motorcraft
Denso
NGK

That's how it's always been for tenth generation. Autolites, -not one of them meet Ford spec. Like them all you want, but you could do MUCH better. I know you could.
What you said about Motorcraft and NGK is something I haven't heard from anyone...honestly! The three mentioned most definitely do.

But hey, if they work well enough for you, I guess that works...for you. But it' right comparing them to plugs that have proven themselves for decades. Autolites may work, how good ? That's always a roll of the dice. Who wants to screw with that ??

When in doubt, go by what the engineers recommend. That would be the plug SPECIFICALLY designed and specified for these engines. - It's in the book.
I realize this can spark big debates just like "what type of oil is best" threads. What I mentioned is from my own experience with many vehicles. Most plug changes go fine, but the ones that go badly stick out in my mind.

To this day I have no idea why the NGK Iridium caused the misfire in my 2003 Marauder. I am a perfectionist when it comes to setting the gap on spark plugs, so that's not the reason. It's entirely possible that those plugs had some unseen damage from handling before I acquired them, and it's the only vehicle I had an issue with on them.

I default to Autolite XP because it's the one plug that I've had zero issues with on any vehicle. A fine-wire plug is less likely to have the flame blown-out and provides a more consistent and focused spark. Initially a fine-wire plug would have a shorter lifespan since there was less material present and they would wear faster. Spark plugs using Iridium solved this issue as it's more durable than platinum, but more expensive as it's a very rare element.

Short version: just because a part is aftermarket does not make it inferior. Using an OE plug is the safest bet, but I fail to see how Denso and NGK are superior to Autolite.

Here's some good general information.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by EsJayEs
I realize this can spark big debates just like "what type of oil is best" threads. What I mentioned is from my own experience with many vehicles. Most plug changes go fine, but the ones that go badly stick out in my mind.

To this day I have no idea why the NGK Iridium caused the misfire in my 2003 Marauder. I am a perfectionist when it comes to setting the gap on spark plugs, so that's not the reason. It's entirely possible that those plugs had some unseen damage from handling before I acquired them, and it's the only vehicle I had an issue with on them.

I default to Autolite XP because it's the one plug that I've had zero issues with on any vehicle. A fine-wire plug is less likely to have the flame blown-out and provides a more consistent and focused spark. Initially a fine-wire plug would have a shorter lifespan since there was less material present and they would wear faster. Spark plugs using Iridium solved this issue as it's more durable than platinum, but more expensive as it's a very rare element.

Short version: just because a part is aftermarket does not make it inferior. Using an OE plug is the safest bet, but I fail to see how Denso and NGK are superior to Autolite.

Here's some good general information.

http://youtu.be/7N-7WGfnKHo?t=3m39s
Geezz, - The factual version, - its inferior because of its past history in the 10th generation modular motors. While the others have had an exemplary history. Sugar it up any way you want, your not going to change history. Search and learn.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 PM
So I took it to ford only to be charged like $200 for exactly the same thing that autozone told me for free ...a miss in cylinder 1 and base motor problem that they couldnt identify without charging me an additional $250. GRRRRRR.
first it was the #2 and #6 cylinders llike not even 3-4 mos ago. What in the world keeps causing this?

Quick Reply: Help! What could have done this to my plug