Starter/Relay/Cable problem

Old 08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter/Relay/Cable problem

Hello all,

Before anyone shoots me I just spent the last couple of hours reading various threads about all the battery/starter/relay/cable problems but I still had a few more questions.

Truck is a 2000 F150 5.4 V8 4x4. I have replaced the alternator, battery and starter just in the last month. Truck will start fine and drive for a week and then I will come out and the truck won't start. Only noise while turning the key is a single click from the starter.

I had a friend come over and said that there is ample juice from the battery and ample juice to the starter. I followed the instructions on line and found the starter relay on the fire wall and put a screw driver over the two big studs. Sparks flew, but the only noise was the starter clicking. The truck didn't try and turn on, it just kept clicking as I held the screwdriver in place.

With this being said, does that leave the only option with the wiring from the relay to the starter? I'm running out of ideas and I don't know where to go from here. Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

If there are threads I somehow missed reading that answer this questions please accept my apologies.

Thanks,

Seth

Old 08-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If all connections are good,no corrosion etc., probably the solenoid on the starter.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The firewall relay is only about $15 me if I start throwing parts thats the first one. The main wire from the starter is prone to corrode. It can corrode internally so look for any deformity in that wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter/Relay/Cable problem