5.4L spark plug change success!

Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L spark plug change success!

A few weeks ago, I had a COP go out on the #2 plug on my 97 F-150 Super Cab with the 5.4 liter, 2V motor, with 163,000 miles. I limped it home running very rough.

Not sure what was happening, I plugged in my scanner and it said miss on #2, so I picked up a new COP and a set of plugs. I'd never changed them since I bought it at 130,000 miles, and I don't think the previous owner had either.

Needless to say, having read numerous horror stories about these 5.4 liter motors and their plug problems, I was tight @$$ed about the repair, and hoping I didn't run into any major problems.

Plugs 1, 2, 5 and 6 all went fairly easily. 7 was the worst while 8 wasn't too bad. On 7, it was very difficult to get the COP off. Even with the fuel rail loose, the fuel pressure regulator really got in the way of that COP.

I ended up buying a 7mm swivel socket with the u-joint in it (1/4" drive). I tried using a standalone u-joint adapter, but the combined stack height of it and a regular 7mm socket made it too tall to fit. I sawed off one socket, but it was still a bit too tall. In comparison, the u-joint-socket was about 1/4" to 3/8" shorter, and that made it fit, that allowed it to slip under the fuel pressure regulator and onto the COP.

I saved plugs 3 and 4 for a second round of work on the next weekend. 3 was a bear, and 4 was bad, too, but neither as bad as 7. Both got easier when I finally pulled the electrical junction box off the firewall above them. That made it much easier to get at those two plugs.

Overall, the procedure was fairly straightforward. Some of the tricks and tools I employed to help are as follows. I pulled the front wheels off and had the truck resting on a some 4x4s under the control arms. Dropping it down like that really helped make it easier to reach way in the back of the motor.

My brother-in-law, who has long made his living wrenching on cars and trucks, recommended getting an extra long spark plug socket. At first, it wasn't obvious how important that was, but as the job went on, I was more and more glad I picked that up.

Another handy tool was the locking extension (3/8"). That really helped extract the socket a couple times. Sometimes the socket would get stuck in the hole just tightly enough to not be able to pull it out using my fingers. Having the locking extension really helped getting it out.

Another tool I wished I had bought was a shorter locking extension. One around 3" long would have been helpful on plugs 3 and 4, especially 4.

Below is a pic of the socket and extension. The lock release on the extension is circled in blue.

Lastly, the best help of all was having a competent buddy over to help. I couldn't have gotten #3 in and out without the extra hands and the encouraging words

I hope this little write-up is helpful to someone else. Doug...trying to pay a little back

Last edited by plano-doug; 08-24-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4L spark plug change success!