My experience of removing spark plugs - GOOD

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience of removing spark plugs - GOOD

Hi all,

Like many of you I was stressed out and anxious with the pending task of replacing my spark plugs. I read infinite articles, bought every possible tool that I would need, and watched a lot of videos.

On my second attempt 2 nights ago I was able to do the entire job in 2 hours and had no broken plugs.

Background on my truck:
2008 F150 SCrew FX4
123k miles......long overdue for spark plug replacement
original plugs
never used injector cleaner, Seafoam or the like

Attempt #1 on 8/10/14
I followed a video with the Ford recommended method of spark plug removal. I let the truck sit overnight so that the engine would be at room temp. Using a spark plug socket and break bar I tried to turn the plugs 1/8 to 1/4 so that I could spray Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil into the cavities and let soak. I was NOT able to turn the plugs at all. I used about 80 lbs of force and couldn't get them to budge. At this point I abandoned this method and put the coil packs back on so that I could try it again with a warm or hot engine.

Attempt #2 on 8/15/14
After driving the truck for about 50 miles I popped the hood to air it for 5 mins while I changed into work clothes. While the engine was still hot I pulled one coil pack and started trying to turn the break bar 1/8 of a turn. Shockingly the plug broke free all together with only about 30 lbs of force. I assumed that it must have snapped with how easy it turned but it didn't. The plug broke free just like any plug on another car without this *****ty design. This was the same for 7 of the plugs. Cylinder 4 was a little tougher. That one broke free by a 1/4 turn but was sticking hard. I soaked the cavity with Kroil and let it sit while I finished removing all of the other plugs. I cranked it a little more and then let it sit again while I got the coil packs reinstalled on the other plugs. This plug squealed and screeched as I back it out but it came out without breaking.
8 plugs replaced in two hours with no breakages.

Going into this prior to attempt #2 I was prepared to use a 3/8 impact gun to remove the plugs. I watched some videos where this was very successful. But obviously I didn't need to go this route.

So, even in my case where I left the old plugs in the engine for 123k mile I was able to get those suckers out without breaking any. The key to my success was doing this job with the engine hot.

I hope this post helps some people.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good post. Thanks for posting.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 huh? Are your COP boots brown like mine? The newer 5.4Ls have brown COP boots and different plugs. They don't break apart like the older ones. Never hurts to be prepared though.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure your 2008 doesn't have two piece plugs. Yours are completely normal and wont break regardless of method.

The bad ones have the long sleeve around the electrode and it gets carbon bonded to the head and then breaks off.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe some '08s still had the two piece plugs.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JCR 56
I could be wrong, but I believe some '08s still had the two piece plugs.
The revised heads came out during the 2008 production year. As stated in the above post, if the COP boots are black, you have the two piece(breakable) plugs. If you have the brown COP boots, you have the newer one piece plugs.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the black COP boots with the 2 piece spark plugs.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
congrats.....

Quick Reply: My experience of removing spark plugs - GOOD