2004 5.4l Power Steering Pump Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 5.4l Power Steering Pump Removal

2004 F150 5.4L
How do I get this thing off!!!???
I removed the pulley and three of the 4 bolts are out and I cannot get the last one off. The pressure line fitting on the pump is in the way and I don't know how to get it out of the way.

My ultimate goal is to remove the timing cover to replace the broken guides, but the pump has to come off first. I'm stumped and at a complete standstill.

Last edited by Lariat04; 08-11-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used this tip from another poster (DYNOTECH) on these forums:
"I usually loosen all the p/s bolts and then use a die grinder to cut the head off the bolt thats directly behind the inlet hose. I have never removed the pulley. Then I reinstall the pump using only three bolts don't replace the one you cut the head off of. The pump only needs three bolts, on later engines the fourth was ommited. That fourth bolt was usually the biggest pain in the ***. It's best to remove the pump from below using extensions."

Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM
OK, mine has the 3 bolts like you mention. just said that 3 of the 4 are out to give a clear visual that one was still in.

I later realized that the pressure fitting on the pump can swivel and give me enough room to put my new ratcheting box end wrench to remove the bolt.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm racking my brain and can't figure out how this thing is supposed to come off. I have a 05 navigator so I know of the 3 bolts. I got the two off the top easy enough but the bottom process is killing me.

Does anyone have a picture of what i'm supposed to be seeing?

Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM
no picture, but the pulley has to come off. Rent the puller/installer at autozon e. Then you will see that bottom bolt and the pressure fitting that's mounted to the pump. The fitting is in the way of your wrench, but it swivels enough to allow your wrench to get in, so its not impossible.

I think its a 10mm. Buy a ratcheting type or you will be there all day with a standard box end wrench. Don't use an open ended wrench, those will round out the head.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4l Power Steering Pump Removal