Help... Pull heads, replace engine??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help... Pull heads, replace engine??

Hey guys. My 2006 SCREW 5.4 is pushing 200k and overall has been good truck. Coming back from a fishing trip last week I heard what sounded like valve chatter under acceleration followed by immediate loss of power. Evidently the spark plug insert on #2 came loose and, in doing so broke the platinum tip /electrode off the plug. I immediately got it to a reputable shop for some discovery. They put in a new coil, insert, plug. and looked around for the missing plug pieces in or around #2 (no pieces). Unfortunately, when checked, #2 was only holding 20lbs of compression. Off came the valve cover and by manually rotating the cam they got the valves to close (they thought a piece of plug might me causing a valve to stick). Compression is still low and that's pretty much where we're at.

Now, since I'm poor (thanks x wife!!), I am looking the best direction to go. What are my options?? The shop is putting together options, to be discussed Monday. I spoke with a master mechanic friend of a friend today that reassured me that the shop that's doing the work is knowledgeable and honest. His suggestion is to remove the head in question (or both?) and have it gone through. I asked about looking at different engine at this point (way to much$$). He said the engine is built well and would last if the issues with the head could be resolved.

Sorry about such a long post guys but I was trying to paint a picture (grim picture). Any advice anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated. You guys rock!!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the labor and parts are going to be as much as a nicer used engine but then you got the installation and removal. I'd check around your area and see what used engines are on the market.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the shop is on the right track. But everything they do will cost money. So if you want to take the gamble and pay them to pull them head, you may get lucky and find that only the head needs to be changed. However with foreign material banging around in there and scratching the cylinder walls, I'd have a used engine installed. It's cheaper than buying a new truck.

It's safe to say that the head isn't salvageable anyway. So if you can afford it and plan on keeping that truck for another 200k, change the engine and eliminate the worry. That's my 2¢

Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll call around and hopefully find a low mile used 5.4 or 4.6. Are any of the years that will fit my truck not plagued with head issues?? Thanks again!!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DavoC1
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll call around and hopefully find a low mile used 5.4 or 4.6. Are any of the years that will fit my truck not plagued with head issues?? Thanks again!!
Your limited to the 3v-5.4. Pretty sure any one of those engine up to the time they wsere discontinued can be made to fit. Newer ones are better the have updates. They fixed the plug issue in 08 so I'd shoot for one out of an 08+ total..

Quick Reply: Help... Pull heads, replace engine??