Cylinder 4 heavy ticking- solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder 4 heavy ticking- solved

On my 02 4.6L vin 6 (Windsor):

Noticed last week a ticking that suddenly got noticeably louder. Went through all the thoughts: bad COP, loose plug, loose lash adjusters, etc. Decided to pull the COP and plug and see if anything there was not quite right.

First thing, since I don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, I pulled some of dad's old Mickey Mouse U touches and grabbed a telescoping magnet- like for reaching dropped nuts and bolts. With my thumb over the end in my ear, I started touching COPS. Sure enough, #4 was ticking like a....I don't what- some kind of annoyingly "ticky" thing. Yay- the hardest one to get to.

Lo and behold, as I was fishing out extensions and joints to get on my socket, as soon as I had that socket down in the hole with enough extension to grab, I turned it and that durn plug was not even finger tight! How was it staying in? Anyway, seeing how somehow I missed torquing it properly last time, I got that thing out, looked it over, cleaned it and stuck it back in. Got it finger tight and hit it with WD-40 as I had no dielectric grease and now no way to get to the local auto parts store.

8 total pieces of extensions and joints later, I re-torqued that thing to 28#- made sure of it this time, and fired it up.

Roar and bingo. Done. Purring like a kitten after about 1 hour out of my life and who knows how much $ saved.

Moral....I don't know. It seemed the make-shift stethoscope was invaluable here. Been scouring threads all week for ideas and clues to diagnose and figured I would throw my own spin on the problem.

Life is good again, pulse returns to normal, and God is good.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Nice job, Now just pray the threads in the head weren't damaged or weakened by the loose plug.

-Steve

Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
glad ya found it....

Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tasca Ford Parts
Nice job, Now just pray the threads in the head weren't damaged or weakened by the loose plug.

-Steve
Shhhh! Don't say that out loud!

Quick Reply: Cylinder 4 heavy ticking- solved